When should I change tranny oil?

radshooter

Reaction score
Hey guys.......We just moved from Phoenix to Topeka. Does anyone know a good dealer in the Topeka area? I definately need an oil change, and am wondering about the NV5600 and diffs.

The truck has 10K miles on it. 2,500 of those 10,000 have been pulling a 16,800 lb. fiver. It still has the new-from-the-factory oil in the tranny and pumpkins. I have changed the engine oil every 3k, except at 9k because we were on the road.

With all this heavy towing, is it time to change the oil in the tranny and differentials? Is it too early for synthetics? Are synthetics worth it? Will a dealer put in synthetics for me? We tow heavy about every 3 months, and have the potential to go anywhere west of the Mississippi river, so can be some long hauls.

If you need more info than what is in my sig, let me know.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

Whit

Reaction score
Steve, I wouldnt worry about it yet, wait till summer, I put Amsoil syn in my diffs, aint done my NV5600 yet but plan on it at 100k, got 80k now. I have a mag hightec cover on the rear diff and monitor the temp, noticed it went down 20* with the syn in there.

Cheers, Kevin

MUDDY

Reaction score
i change out my original gearbox oils tween 5 and 10 thou for 1st time. on my nv5600s [and 4500s] i ran the original type stuff for replacement. amsoil in the rear. at this time in this rig atf amsoil in the t-case. regular atf +3 in the dtt 48re. i figger 30k on the rear ill chnge again. every 30k on the 5600s if i still had em. 15k on the t-case. 15k on the 48re. 60k on the front pumkin [dino oil]. imo. i change engine oil tween 3 to 5 thou. changed at 1thou for 1st time.

the 3 gen rigs have synthetic in the rear from factory. expensive stuff. amsoil cheaper. 2gens had dino oil in rear. smart to use syn in rear if towing. like kev, i believe in maghytec pans. and also fastcoolers and of crse i too monitor both trans and rear temp

watch the dlr monkeys like a hawk. and they dont always use the good engine oil. just cheapest they can get at a given time. most likely theyll use the mopar stuff for the 5600 and mopar stuff for the rear. also the atf+4 for the t-case. theyll charge ya big for these oils. the dlr's will get ya. find an independant shop ya can trust. bring your own oils and a fleetguard filter. do the fuel filtr at 10k too

too bad ya didnt come back to idaho. we'd get r done at a bomb party for ya;)

Last edited:

Jerry

Dunce
Reaction score
I changed mine at 15,000 miles. Used Redline MTL in the NV5600, C+ in the transfer case and 75w90 in the diffs. The best price I found was myoilshop.com @ $7.00 per quart.:cool

radshooter

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Guess I will wait a while to change out the tranny. It is still shifting good. The only notchy part is going from 2 to 3 when cold, but it has allways done that, and from what I read, it is pretty common.

Muddy.....I would have loved to have that job in Boise. Much better than Topeka.

If you don't quit rubbing it in about how great Boise is, I am going to quit posting here;Poke ;Poke :joker: :cry:

well......maybe not.LOL LOL

Thanks again guys.
Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828