Wheel bearings install

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I bought all new front wheel bearings, inner and outer for my truck ;Sweet . Do you guys have any advice or tips before I start this project within the next couple of days?

On another note, I changed out the factory shocks for some gas filled shocks, and man did that make a difference in the ride. The old shocks, which I'm thinking are factory, you could compress them and they would even rebound, no wonder my truck was so bouncy.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of shocks did you get? I need some new ones on mine(probably need new wheel bearings soon too!)

P.S. Nice truck!!

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you have fresh grease, rags, and the four tooth socket needed for the D50. A dentist pick set really helps to get out the hub C clips as well. Good luck

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just make sure you have fresh grease, rags, and the four tooth socket needed for the D50. A dentist pick set really helps to get out the hub C clips as well. Good luck

My truck has a Dana 44HD, hopefully I dont need that special tool. Everything else I have all ready to go.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What kind of shocks did you get? I need some new ones on mine(probably need new wheel bearings soon too!)

P.S. Nice truck!!

I just went to napa and go there gas filled shocks. I cant really compare them to stock shocks, cause the ones in my truck were totaly shot.

Thanks for the compliment ;Sweet , I appreciate it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You have the fork tool to get them out? Hope soo they are a pain other wise.

I think I know what your talking about, and if your thinking what I'm thinking then I believe we have one somewhere. If not, I'll just drive to napa and pick one up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look carefully at the bearings you get. If they don't say Timken on them, take them back. Most of the chinese ones don't last. The ones Ford sells are Timken, or at least they were the last time I bought some.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Look carefully at the bearings you get. If they don't say Timken on them, take them back. Most of the chinese ones don't last. The ones Ford sells are Timken, or at least they were the last time I bought some.

I havent looked at them yet, but I was offered the cheap chinese ones buy the guy there, or the better ones. I picked the better ones, I aint supporting those slanted eyed commies more than I have to.

Does anybody have a link to a write-up about how to do it? Or can somebody walk me through the steps?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the single small bolt from the bottom side of the caliper. Drive the pin out with a mallet and punch. Don't let the calipers hang from the hoses. Take the allen screws out of the 4X4 hub, and remove the hub. Take the lock nut off the end of the spindle. There will be another nut behind that one (I hope, my memory is fuzzy). Somewhere in there, there may also be a washer with a pin sticking out of it. All these things come out in an obvious fashion. Just pay attention so you can put it all back together correctly. The outer bearing will come off if you push on the disc one way or another. Once the outer bearing is off, then just slide the hub assembly off. Put the hub on a bench, and use a drift to knock the inner bearing out, pushing the rear seal off with it. Now examine the races. They are pressed in, and have to be knocked out. Use a drift to catch the small lip on the inside of each race and knock it out. Move your punch around in a circle to knock it out streight so as not to **** it. Clean everything really well. Hammer the new races in evenly, and carefully. Make sure they seat fully. Pack your larger inner bearing with clean grease really well, and lay it on the race. Now put the new inner seal on, being carefully to tap lightly all the way around to seat it. Be sure not to distort it. Clean up the spindle real well, and lube it lightly with grease. Slide the hub on, being carefull not to nick the seal. Place your well packed small outer bearing on, and reassemble. You'll need to torque the first nut to spec, which I can't recall what that is right now. Hopefully somebody can post it for you.

94johnh

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing mine ! take lots of pictures and post a how to if you can..:)

john

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Remove the single small bolt from the bottom side of the caliper. Drive the pin out with a mallet and punch. Don't let the calipers hang from the hoses. Take the allen screws out of the 4X4 hub, and remove the hub. Take the lock nut off the end of the spindle. There will be another nut behind that one (I hope, my memory is fuzzy). Somewhere in there, there may also be a washer with a pin sticking out of it. All these things come out in an obvious fashion. Just pay attention so you can put it all back together correctly. The outer bearing will come off if you push on the disc one way or another. Once the outer bearing is off, then just slide the hub assembly off. Put the hub on a bench, and use a drift to knock the inner bearing out, pushing the rear seal off with it. Now examine the races. They are pressed in, and have to be knocked out. Use a drift to catch the small lip on the inside of each race and knock it out. Move your punch around in a circle to knock it out streight so as not to **** it. Clean everything really well. Hammer the new races in evenly, and carefully. Make sure they seat fully. Pack your larger inner bearing with clean grease really well, and lay it on the race. Now put the new inner seal on, being carefully to tap lightly all the way around to seat it. Be sure not to distort it. Clean up the spindle real well, and lube it lightly with grease. Slide the hub on, being carefull not to nick the seal. Place your well packed small outer bearing on, and reassemble. You'll need to torque the first nut to spec, which I can't recall what that is right now. Hopefully somebody can post it for you.

Yes!!! Mel you are the man ;Sweet . This is exactly what I needed. So far I'm only to the taking out of the axle nut's, but after 2 trips to napa for a total of 1.5 hours of driving time, I still dont have the right axle nut socket :mad: . So I had to stop for the night.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got the parts for the turbo today. soon as it is together I will let you know.
Buy all the wheel nut sockets, someday you will need them.