What do you like about you IDI?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have to agree with all the above but.... Some of the comments really make a person laugh at the computer... Glad I don't drink anything when I'm reading here...:rotflmao

zpd307

Reaction score
no car payments.... and it is rusty and ugly enough that no one would want to steal it. i have only washed it once in the year and a half that i have owned it.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I work in a high-tech field, so the IDI gives my life balance.;p

Low initial purchase price, surprisingly good mileage, more power than I expected, fun to drive, LOVE the V-8 diesel roar (4" straight piped after turbo downpipe!!) and I always loved the box front fords of the 80's.

I am a former Duramax owner- it was a good truck, but I was always dreading the day it needed work...between the payments and the stress I decided it was best to get my $$ out of it before it lost anymore value.

If the IDI gives up the ghost I am out $400!LOL

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like the fact that it tows what i need it to, i don't have to worry about a $2500 trans, gets better milage towing then my expedition empty, and the best part

where else could you get the sound that an idi with a 4" straight pipe has.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I love mine, because of it's being all mechanical and because I can run "Garbage" in it, as Mel put it...

Over 19,000 miles on WMO so far.. One of these days, I may even get my mix/formula right! :D

DragRag

Reaction score
Seats eight, and runs on anything I put in the tank. Oh ya, it didn't cost an arm and a leg, even though it looks like I did.
You must be registered for see images attach

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the simplicity- NO COMPUTERS! For a cheap diesel, it can actually be built for power and hold up (not so much for the 6.2 Chevy) The only thing I don't like is the MPG- The best I ever got was 13.2. My front brakes drag, maybe thats part of it.
I really hate electronics, especially when my F150 mysteriously won't start some days.
Fords always seem to have more electronic issues than the bowties do (from what I've seen) with their fuel pumps, TFI's and so on...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Like everyone else said, no electronics, it's simple to work on and cheaper to maintain than the newer diesels. And no payment.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, It's a diesel 4x4, and my mife doesn't complain that I have a payment anymore. She has the payment..... new van.....

Really, no electronics, all hard durable parts, cheap fixes, great parts interchange with other model years. No expensive transmissions to break. (t-19 in mine), 16 in tires, (cheaper than 20's on the newer trucks by FAR, I won't own anything with wheels larger than 17in.), Parts are cheap. lasts forever.....

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I like the Ford body and I wanted a crew cab. The 80's chevy's look more ancient than a ford. The 6.2L also is a drawback, so a Ford with an IDI was my only choice.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 full doors. A 4WD front axle and steering setup that holds up well. It burns diesel. 3 pedals, 2 shifters, locking hubs.

And a motor that doesn't make enough power to tear up everything behind it. I destroyed way too many parts in my CTD trucks, and it's nice to just drive the truck and not fear breaking.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I work at a dealership and spend 40+ hours a week fixing really stupid problems (granted usually caused by really stupid people). I like walking out the back door and throughing my tools in the back seat, putting my girl by my side and running through 5 speeds, listening to the turbo and knowing that worse case I will need a couple cans of flat black krylon and a few phone calls to fix whatever mess I get in.

hell I now have other people bringing their idi's to me to fix, dealership frowns on them but I love looking out and seeing a driveway full of them.

punk

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I enjoy the INSTANT spool up. I do not enjoy all the air noise of the boxy body, the 12MPG, plenty of electrical issues.
Anyone need another IDI?;Sweet