Well hope all your starts to christmas are better then mine

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Well first of ill start by saying merry christmas to all fellow oilburners. and to the start of my holidays today, i went out quading was a great ride all was good came back started up my truck was letting it warm up while i loaded my quad into the box and what not. during the process of loading up my ramps sit on my tail gate and straped down to my reciver hitch. quad was just about into the box and snap the left side tail gate strap let go which in turn mad the quad slip and kick out the ramps from under me my quad landed on the tail gate and bent it realy bad so thats the number one problem. now tonight its about -20 outside and i was a buddies place, might i add its like a hurricane out and super windy my truck ran fine the whole day and evening no problems i got there shut her down was there about 3 hrs go to leave starts up fine let it warm up ten mins or so start drivin down the road it starts chugin like its running out of fuel. tank reads half tank. look at my fuel preasure gauge its goin from 6 to 0 psi fast. it died i start it up went to 3 psi and started to drop so i was like hmm maybe ill top off the tank at the neartest station, what a process to get to when it kept dyin. least to say i have to go across a one lane bridge to get home which is fairly long crossing the Skeena River, wasnt going to get stuck in the middle so i had a buddy tow my the rest of the way and it would idle with only maybe .5psi so it ran for about 20 mins like this so i shut it down, started it up and was still in the same spot so i stepped on the throttle a good couple of times and it hit 3 psi and on its own slowly started goin back up to 6 psi at idle and stayed there for another 10 or so. what im thinking is my fuel filter may have froze up? and also my fuel filter light turned on a couple times thru this processs to. any ideas as what to check and where to start? cheers everyone hope you all have a great and safe day. take care and ill be back in the am for more quality advise. thanks Joe

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It doesn't get real cold here so I can't help too much. But I'd start with trying to drain your filter. Does your fuel heater work? Maybe it's gelling up.(I'm sure somebody will correct that for me)
May get some diesel clean or the like. Whereabouts are you?
And merry Christmas.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start with a new set of straps.:dunno

Merry Christmas

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
im in terrace bc canada. and as far as my heater working ive honestly got no clue. and a new tailgate and strap will be on order here soon.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Ok sounds good. Ill have to look up the safe spec on it and ive had my truck running in high idle for about 20 mins this morning and it has stayed up at 6 psi reved it up a bunch and stayed there and i also drained the filter of water very little came out but there was indeed a little bit

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Sounds like the diesel gelled up on you, either Diesel 911 or kersene will de-gel it but you also might have to change the fuel filter. For future use just add anti gel when you fuel up (4X the recomendations, recomendations are for OTR trucks)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A failing lift pump wont get bad or get better. It only fails. I feel like others. your fuel is gelling up and you need to add some anit gelling agent as suggested here. I have never needed any on the west coast near the beach... We just don't get the cold type weather around here.. Maybe someday but not anytimes soon.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Ya if it was just a failing lift pump it wouldnt have gotten better once it warmed up some.