Was hot, now now to pot

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a while back I was on here with some problems with my truck. Figured it was head gaskets. Tore into it and the gaskets, rockers, lifters, rods, where toast. So I got new heads, rockers, lifters, rods, gaskets. Dude was going back together and then he saw that the lifter stuck and wore out the cam in spots. So out came the motor and got into her more. Looks like someone has replaced the crank at some point. Once in there we saw 3 missing piston cooling jets in the pan and spot in one of the cylinder walls. The spot in small and not to deep. You can feel it and see it once the piston is swept across it. I found a new cam for $100.

Now what to do? Should I stone the walls, through new bearing at it and hope for the best or look for another motor. The block only has 180k on it. I'm not looking to build a pulling sled. I just need this truck to yank around my 6k Jeep and be reliable. I got the truck for $2500 and now I have about $1500 in a head gasket job. I don't want this to turn into a money pit and through a load of money at that is not needed.

With this spot in the cylinder wall, do I risk melting down a piston soon. Or will it heat up and swell and never know it.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

sootman73

Reaction score
first fill out your signature so that we know what motor and what truck. if its a 7.3l it sounds like its a sign of cavitation.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that. It's a 85 6.9 non-turbo with 180k on the dial. Has been running WVO for 20k.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a block with a few spots on the cylinder walls and I'm looking at boring it out some. There are differing opinions on this (I have the 7.3L, a little different story), in your case your fine for a boring out job. You'll have to get new pistons, rings.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
With the missing cooling jets, I'd be looking over the wrist pins as well for signs of overheating. Plenty of free movement and no metal discolorations from overheating them due to lack of lubrication.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pistons are all good and within limits it might be better to just sleeve that hole and replace that piston. Will cost you $50-100 for a sleeve and $25-50 for a piston. Those cooling jets are super critical so make sure they and the crank and piston pins/rods are in good shape before you put it back together. Oh, and if you do sleeve it be sure its a shop that has a lot of experience with dry sleeves on diesels, preferably IDIs and CAT 3208s maybe.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok--got the motor apart last night. The cyclinder dosen't look that bad. That the cylinder measure within specs and don't show any eggs. I think the spot in the wall can be gotten out at the machine shop. I'm going back with new rings, cam, bearings, and such. Who has the best price on this stuff? Also where can I get piston cooling jets and pistion pin bushings? Ford says discontinued.

Also it needed rockers, so I got new 6.9 rockers. People are talking on here about useing 7.3 style rockers. Are they better and why and how? And is it a straight swap or is there some work needed. What do I need to do this swap or any info on this and any other things I should do while I'm in there will be appricated.

Thanks for the help.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that the cooling jets that were still there aren't clogged. When I rebuilt my 7.3 a couple months ago a few of the jets were clogged but oddly they weren't on the worn cylinders.

-Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get parts from International dealers also. If you get your rockers from Ford, you will only get 7.3 version rockers. The 6.9's were discontinued. Anybody selling them is doing so from old stock. The 7.3 rockers are supposed to be better, but I haven't heard of near as many 6.9's throwing rods as 7.3's, but that may not be the reason.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What are you doing about the push rods? If you didn't set them up so you know which end fits the rockers you should be replacing them. The copper colored end is the end that is hardened and goes up in the rocker. Otherwise they wiil end up wearing out and burning a hole in the rockers. Give Ford Parts Online a call. Actually they are Bob Utter Ford in Sherman Texas. Are your oil cooling jets the press in type? If so they require a spaecial tool for installation and alignment.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new push rods. Whats up with the rockers? Found some cooling jets locally. Ford dissed them a month ago, but the part # is E5TZ6C327C.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I got new push rods. Whats up with the rockers? Found some cooling jets locally. Ford dissed them a month ago, but the part # is E5TZ6C327C.
just like ford--dont sell old parts--that way they have to buy a newer truck--ya right-----