W80: keeping it mixed

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the proper way to filter lets just say 100 gallons of fuel is to pump 100 gallons through your filter setup 7 times so that will be 700 gallons worth of pumping.

I use this policy every batch I make, I use a Parker Filter cart that has a 10 micron and 40 micron filtration system.

It pumps 10 gallons every minute so a 55 gallon drum takes about an hour or less to properly filter.

I usually dump 5 gallons on top of 50 gallons of WMO or add the gas first the 50gallons on top, either way don't matter

cause the pump turns on and it will all be mixed properly.

Those house filters wont hold up at all, they are made for water that's it.

I have found that a pair of filters I use will last thousands of gallons being

pumped through them as long as I am cleaning rather clean waste oil.

I have a lot of tricks to keep the main filters happy, they cost about $50 a piece

So I spend time thinking about what I do to them.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idiabuse, do you have a link to a thread showing your setup? What filters do you use?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quality low micron absolute rated filter and multiple passes should work.

I wont say you should jump on the centrifuge bandwagon... but what I've spent on filters, filter heads, and plumbing would be close to what I have in the pa Bio fuge.

Idiabuse has one of the Parker filtration carts which for the average buyer run north of $1k... he got his quite a bit cheaper iirc.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only gets one pass through the CAT spin on filter before I consider it truck ready. They would not last long otherwise. Maybe I need to get it cleaner before it gets to that filter?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I know you say u dont want a fuge, but there is a guy selling one in the marketplace on here

.... edit ....Scratch that he wants to much

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price wise, Ive got under $200 in my centrifuge, pump, and plumbing with it (had a power steering pump an electric motor to run it laying around)... Ive got close to 3/4 of that in my gravity filtration setup...

If you can scrounge up parts... a fuge can be more cost effective.

Again, you go with what will work for you and your setup/fundage. I personally wish I would have bought the centrifuge in the first place after it was all said and done... but that's just me. I know of plenty of people who filter and go without issue.

-Chris

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on my mind, but it concerns me having to leave it run unattended.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My high pressure side from the pump to the fuge is plumbed with some left over transmission cooler hose I had which was rated at a working pressure of 400psi and a burst strength of over 1k psi... since the fuge operates at 85... I don't worry too much and I check on it ever so often. I don't leave the house or anything with it running but I let it go for hours... hasn't leaked a drop as of yet.

Is there a risk... sure. Just plumb it correctly the first go around and don't worry about it. In the near future when I relocate everything from my garage to the shed I'm building, I'm planning on plumbing it with AN line and fittings rated at over 2k psi so I don't have to question leaving it running while I'm not around.

-Chris

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idiabuse, do you have a link to a thread showing your setup? What filters do you use?

Nah not really, I have pics but lost in thousands of other pics on my puter.

It is a simple method I have, I do also use the upflow system to collect waste oil to process.

I don't need to use upflow, but the quality is better when I use that method, takes a few days to get 50 gallon batch ready to

polish.

Not to mention I always have the ability to clean up Hydraulic oil professionally on the side with my filter cart LOL!

I charge $300 to clean 100 gallons of AW68 fluid in equipment...

You must be registered for see images attach

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My largest issue is the fuel system I have mainly the holley pump wont pump every batch I make, yes quality of waste oil can be tough and the more viscous the tougher to pump, some years ago a member found a $500 pump for Waste oil 12 volts but lost the info, I wish I had a better pump on my truck.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I modified the intake for the pump such that it only draws in oil from the top down. Before, it was just a pipe in the side of the drum 8" off the bottom, and I'm almost positive it was still sucking in a large amount of the junk that had settled to the bottom. This seems to have helped a lot.

Have run about 60 gallons through the Mercedes so far. It appears to have lost a little low end power and doesn't start as easily in the morning. Still driving it 30min to work everyday though. I added a 14psi inline electric pump, may have helped starting a little, but not much. I think I'm going to do a shock treatment with some D2 and a high concentration of Stanadyne performance formula and see if it helps get things back to where it was originally. If not, I plan to inspect the pre-chambers for carbon build up.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any advice on places to hit up for oil? I've scored a TON on Craigslist, but the supply is getting down now and I'm seeing a lot of other ads up in my area for wanted waste oil... for a while, mine was the only one. One ad even offers $.50gal! Hoping it's mostly a winter heating thing and will die down in the warmer months. I have a friend who works at a truck shop, usually go and pump 60-70gal from him at a time, but he's a little too far away to be practical on a regular basis.

Everyone I've gotten 55+ gallons from has kept my number, but most say it takes them a year to accrue that much. Would be awesome to find a hydraulic oil source.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, the other people trying to collect it are in my neck of the woods lol

Most of the Ads state they use it for waste oil heaters, so they will prob die off for a little bit in the heat of the summer, its becuase its been so cold for so long here lately.

Im going to call that # for the vernon place and see what they are doing with it that they will pay 50 cents a gal

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Any little quick lubes or mom and pop shops around?
A lot of them have to pay to have oil hauled off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online