W80: keeping it mixed

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Can I come try some of your W80?

I want to see how the truck likes burning it before I commit to starting a WMO set up, and your the first person Ive seen post close enough to ask

I'll throw you some cash or beers for a few gallons

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should just turn this into a thread to document my experiences and processing methods. People who want to hear about it! My gf and roomies think its cool, but are probably sick of hearing about it haha.

This is all in a 95 12v Cummins. Stock 175hp p-pump. 5spd, HX35 turbo, 4" exhaust, timing about 17*. Governor springs, delivery valves, and injectors are coming. In that order. Then that's pry it honestly, even stock it does what I want very well.

Have about 10k on various D2 blends and started going full W85 3k ago. Most of my oil is 15w, so I bumped it up to W80. I get a lot of white smoke at idle. I made it disappear completely for 1k miles after running 7gal of D2 with a high concentration of Standadyne performance formula, but now its back. In the fall, I experimented with using a Dodge ATF/coolant heat exchanger to heat my fuel but was dumb and plumbed it before the lift pump and had priming issues. But it seemed to help smooth it out and reduce idle smoke somewhat in temps around 40*. I wanna try getting it plumbed back in after the lift pump when I get a little time.

As far as temps and the truck, runs fine. I haven't been plugging it in and it will start at 15* on W80. 10 seconds of cranking with my foot on the floor gets it to fire (new batteries were key) and I have to hold it at about 1200rpm for a couple minutes, then it will run on its own and come up in idle speed as it warms up. It's been 50-60* the last few days, and I think it does run better. All the more motivation to get that heater back on.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run w80 in a ve pump 4bt (12v with 2 cylinders cut off)... in the cold months, w80 cokes things up pretty quick. Have you thought about water injection? I'm going to be ordering a kit here soon from Devil's Own... around $230 to help combat it.

Are you running a single tank setup or dual?

I hear that a dual tank system... starting and shutting down on d2 along with warming up to temp on d2 really helps combat the smoke/coking.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Single tank. Really trying to follow the KISS theory, especially on the truck itself. I'm sure there is some coking happening and that's what's causing my white smoke. I think for now, I'm going to try plugging it in overnight before I plan to drive it and I really wanna try that heater again. If I can't keep the prime, may try copper tube wrap to flow coolant around the fuel filter.

Anyone ever try the electric heater wraps? They are relatively inexpensive and I was thinking it could be useful to turn it on for a minute or two before starting.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a flat plate heat exchanger from dudadiesel a while back... 20 plate for ~$60.

Probably similar to what you are doing and I plan to do that as well. Since you want to stay single tank, may look into water injection for an occasional cyl. cleaning... would be simple and cheap.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Cummins had a good Christmas! GSK and 191 delivery valves!

Definitely going to get the heat exchanger going again as soon as I have time when I get home. As I look down the road to injectors, do people have good luck running higher pop injectors with alt fuels? Slightly larger orifices maybe?Maybe something I look into eventually.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard higher pop pressure help... but I don't see how. My injectors are stock and they don't coke the holes... just around the tip which throws off the spray angle.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the heater plumbed back in. Seemed to be running good. Then got home and found coolant streaming out of the block (head gasket.) So this will probably be my last update for a while :(

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the sake of keeping this thread slightly true to title, it does appear that mixing the oil/gas mix thoroughly yields a consistent mixture even after sitting for two weeks.

Few pics of my filtering setup:

Storage:

You must be registered for see images attach

Initial filters:

Pump filter setup: (details earlier in thread)

Pumping into clean, truck ready barrel:

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck should be up and running again within the next 2-3 weeks. I miss driving it! Roommate's 12v has been doing well driving on our W80ish mix with stale gas.

Been eyeing 80s Mercedes to replace my Focus daily driver... lots of good deals on Craiggers!!

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I guess this is slightly on topic. I noticed that my w85 mix sat in an open top barrel for three weeks or so. Every once in a while I would mix it up. Temps never rose past 40f. This last week I went to use some and I noticed that it was pretty thick like all the gas had evaporated. I guess it makes sense, I just assumed that once it was mixed with a heavier oil it would stay put.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is back together and running. Recently rebuilt motor out of a parts truck. Runs great.

Smoke at cold idle is what I would consider acceptable, warm idle is basically non existent. World of a difference better than my old motor. This is all on my W80 blend.

Old motor is torn down, lots of carbon deposits throughout the combustion chamber. I will get pics posted soon. I've never taken apart a high mileage (230k) motor run only on D2, so I don't have anything to compare to, but it seemed dirty. There was considerable wear on the cylinder walls as well. Not sure 11k miles of WMO fuel would cause what I found, though. Also doubt better filtering would solve the carbon issue, that **** just doesn't burn. Especially not in an engine starving for compression. Hoping some real compression and therefor warmer combustion temps can keep things a little cleaner.

On another note, I picked up a 1986 Mercedes 300 SDL to use as an experiment for DDing. Scooped it for $800, used the profits from parting out the donor truck so no harm if it doesn't work out. It has the OM603 turbo'd inline 6. Wanted a 300D with the 617 5 cylinder, but couldn't pass this one up. Haven't put any homemade fuel in yet, but will report back with results.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say a little water **** would go a long way on keeping things clean too. I have a kit at the house... hoping for good weather soon to do the install.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think I have enough filtration for a non-fuge setup? Please spare me the "get a fuge" comments, I don't think its practical for me right now and I know there are plenty of people running WMO blends without them.

I started getting clogged fuel filter symptoms this morning. 10um. Was having this issue once per tank before adding the 2um nominal spin-on as last filter. I made the mistake of buying some Fram 2um filters from Filterbarn, maybe that's all this? Just need to get a quality filter back on as my final filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin