VegOil really becoming scarce?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Now that I've completed my upgrades to use vegetable oil and other "oils" :-D I thought I'd cruise over to Craigslist to see what folks are doing on there with WVO.

It's absurd! There are end users offering to pay as much as $1.50/gallon for restaurants' used oil. I seem to recall even a year ago seeing folks selling veggie for $.10-$.15/gallon if not giving it away for free!

I guess competition has gotten strong enough, and idiots like these guys trying to corner the market by paying $1.50/gallon - guess that they don't understand that they're hurting all WVO users by doing this.

Guess they have more money that time and are willing to burn the money to outpace those with the time.

Ahh well.

What is the vegetable oil situation in your area?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because of the restaurants being scared of breaking contract with their oil colection agent....
i have thus given up on veg and am now seeking the best ways to burn WMO--i just gotta wait till this warranty wears out before really diving in

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Yes it's getting scarce. Remember that diesel was at ~$5 a few months ago and everybody now wants oil. I've had my restaurant contacts for two years now and they still give me their oil for free. I got all my leads from Craig's List. Last month one of my restaurants had less oil than their average. I know someone was emptying some of their cubies but I can't say anything because I don't want to rock the boat. I'm grateful for every drop of oil I collect.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Amazing how California gets ***** harder than everyone else on fuel prices - can't all be taxes. We've been getting $4.08/gallon #2 for a few weeks now and a local place has #2 for $3.72 now...

**Hrm there's $3.75 diesel in Mill Valley I just checked. Maybe not so bad after all...

Yes it's getting scarce. Remember that diesel was at ~$5 a few months ago and everybody now wants oil. I've had my restaurant contacts for two years now and they still give me their oil for free. I got all my leads from Craig's List. Last month one of my restaurants had less oil than their average. I know someone was emptying some of their cubies but I can't say anything because I don't want to rock the boat. I'm grateful for every drop of oil I collect.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a renderer/biodiesel plant that pretty well took over around here. I have some wvo stored up so hepefully fuel prices go down and that renderer/biodiesel plant cant make a profit. I get about 20-25 gallons a month that wont supply me but at least I get that. I will run 100% in the warmer months and just supplement in the winter as a lubricant additive in the winters until me run dry.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
We paid $3.65 a gallon for diesel at safeway ;Sweet. Spend $500 accumulative there and you get $.50 off a gallon ;Sweet.

WVO I've seen around here go for $2+ a gallon :eek:

childildersj76

Reaction score
In the Dallas/Fort Worth area its gotten damn hard to find wvo without paying almost as much as #2 when it was over $5 a gallon :puke: I went to a waste collector that said the would sell for $150 a drum (not filtered) then I found a good clean source of unused peanut oil @ Sam's Wholesale 14.96 for 6 gallon jug that worked good but now #2 is down as low as 3.78 yesterday;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I've got my place locked in, could get more. He leaves it in the cubbies for me and puts all the watery trash in the renders drums. almost 2 cubbies a week! I've got a buddy that has some large collection sites, so if I need some I can get it from him.;Sweet

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to get 4 cubies a week plus a little until the renderers came by asking where the grease is that goes with the water. Now I'm lucky to get 2 cubies. But, while I was pre filtering through a sheet I noticed the nice oil on the top in the cubies and the buildup of shortening on the sheet filter. I'm gonna give the renderers 2 cubies of goo and save the nice oil for me.
On a side note, the local renderers here look for barrels owned by end users. Funny thing happens when they are tipped over then the health dept comes by the next day.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 3 cubies a week, filtered. The place has a filtration unit that uses a filter pad and magnasol. The come oil comes to me crystal clear :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin