Vegetable Oil Off The Shelf

Luke_IDI

Reaction score
A while ago I came across this lubricity study, which I guess has become rather famous in these circles:

Interesting that the winner by a considerable margin is soy biodiesel. The sole diesel engine I use currently is an IDI, so lubricity additives are important to prevent injection pump wear. I live in the Gulf Coast, where biodiesel is not readily available.

You must be registered for see images attach

Is there any reason not to simply go to the grocery store, grab a gallon of soybean or canola oil off the shelf, and dump that into the tank when I fill up with ULSD? (The lubricity study tested a ratio of 50:1 ULSD to biodiesel.)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you're concerned about is lubrication, why not just put a heavy dose of Lucas in with your fill up? Then you won't have to be guessing.

I run WMO in my truck, so I'm a bit of a gambler of sorts. If you feel like a gambling man, dump some soy in and report back. There's not really any WVO guys on here, we do WMO.

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only shortcoming with soy or canola is low temp and/or blending issues, but down where you are I don't think you'll have any issues. I say go for it, especially if you like the way it smells :)

One more thing to consider: it's common in many states for diesel pumps to be B5 or even B20 biodiesel even though they don't advertise. I don't look so much now that I have a Powderchoke, but in Washington it was harder to find straight diesel than it was to find a pump that was B5 or B20. Ask around and find out if there's a station that sells a B5 or B20 blend all the time.

Lubricity is pretty important in an IDI. When I owned mine, if I couldn't get anything I would always dump a quart or ATF or 2 stroke in to keep the pump happy.

Good luck whichever way you end up going.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree that linked study is pretty famous. They only use a 2% bio blend in the test which is pretty small compared to the 5-15% bio blend found at most stations. Not sure what's available from pumps in your area - Cali for example has a lot of R99 at stations.

I've been under the impression basically all stations carry at least b5 - which doesn't need to be labeled as bio. Above b5 needs to be labeled as bio

If you're really just looking to increase lubricity throwing in a quart or so of whatever veg oil into your tanks shouldn't be a problem IMO. A cetane additive is probably the most common method

Luke_IDI

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. It seems like fuel lubricity isn’t really an issue as long as you’re getting some percentage of biodiesel at the pump. I’m a pretty infrequent user of this IDI and still relatively new to it. I’ll take a closer look at the pumps and not worry too much about it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online