used engine oil for fuel

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
full synthetic wont burn as we are using it.
im using a 2 micron perma-cool filter/water seperator & a $6 drill motor pump & can filter a gallon in 40 seconds.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started using straight wmo in my front tank, and diesel in the rear. Drove home from work tonight with 2 ton on the bed, running wmo the whole way. smoked a little more, and temp was alittle higher on some of the bigger hills. But at $0 a gallon, I'll be running this all the time I can.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
tractorman86 said:
another stupid question. will the stealerships give it away for free or do they charge you?

I don't know about AZ but up here you're crazy if you don't heat the shop with it in the winter time. If they don't they're paying to have it hauled away.

If they let you have it you will probably need a pump of some sort to get it out of thier tank. Be sure you have the means to clean up any spills so you don't get them PO'd.

foamdoc

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with hydraulic oil. I have access to quite a bit of used but clean hyd oil. It is used in industrial control machinery, so it is well filtered and taken care of (plus I can filter it to 1 micron also). It is changed out about once a year for preventative maint. Anyway, I was thinking of burining it as a 50/50 mix or more if I could get away with it. Will it burn completely without leaving any residue in the motor? I wonder if I should ad methonal to thin like biodiesel? Would it be a good idea to ad propane injection or the like to ensure a more complete burn of the oil? How could I test for water in the oil? I am willing to try it but don't want my truck to die one day from excessive build up of oil residue or damage. I know, lots of questions, but hoping for definitive answers before I get started. :thanks:

snatchal

Reaction score
foamdoc said:
Anyone have any experience with hydraulic oil. I have access to quite a bit of used but clean hyd oil. It is used in industrial control machinery, so it is well filtered and taken care of (plus I can filter it to 1 micron also). It is changed out about once a year for preventative maint. Anyway, I was thinking of burining it as a 50/50 mix or more if I could get away with it. Will it burn completely without leaving any residue in the motor? I wonder if I should ad methonal to thin like biodiesel? Would it be a good idea to ad propane injection or the like to ensure a more complete burn of the oil? How could I test for water in the oil? I am willing to try it but don't want my truck to die one day from excessive build up of oil residue or damage. I know, lots of questions, but hoping for definitive answers before I get started. :thanks:
I've ran a 50/50 mix of hydraulic oil and diesel. My truck seems to have more power with this mix.
None of these odd-ball mixtures burn as clean as diesel, you will have some buildup of coke on your your glow plugs and I assume your combustion chambers. It's a trade-off for getting by with cheap fuel. I run 100% diesel about every 3rd or 4rth fill-up. By the end of the tank everything is pretty well cleaned out.
Some have reported that by using water injection the chambers stay cleaner.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Years ago when I was in industrial mainenance we had lots of hydraulic oil avaible several machines used 500 gal each.We haqd a company come in and they ran it thru a centrifuge so we could reuse it.However we had a fire once(carless cigarett smoker) .The Hyd oil burned faster then I expected.and very hot.It may depend on wnat kind of Hydraulic oil you use.But I know it was easier to ignite then Motor oil.I think if I was you I would explor this a lot more you probably have a good source of fuel.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
The Hyd oil burned faster then I expected.and very hot.It may depend on wnat kind of Hydraulic oil you use.But I know it was easier to ignite then Motor oil.I think if I was you I would explor this a lot more you probably have a good source of fuel.
Hyd oil runs good......LOTS of BTU's!
A case of straight ATF will run like a stripped ape if 'ya run out of fuel & all you have with you is a case of ATF.LOL For the last few years I have run a min. qt of ATF or WMO in a tank of diesel.....all diesel is NOT the same anymore. Cetane numbers vary lots now-a-days. Some fill-ups run better than others on straight diesel.

I run very little diesel, but most of the time when running diesel I run a pretty heavy mix of WMO & diesel, but I also have my fuel system heated to run WVO.....& I run a lot of that....60-100 gal/ week in my 7.3. And I run it in some of my other "toys"....dozer, backhoes, etc.
For about the last year I don't mix WVO & WMO together anymore. It seemed to me as if the WMO seemed to bind with occasional "chunkies, butter, & Crisco" in the WVO during cool weather, or for what-ever other reasons, & this shortened all my filter change intervals.....got fustrating!

Now I run straight WVO or diesel/WMO mix.....& get lots longer filter life.

As for "coking", it will happen on heavier fuels if engine temps. aren't hot enough.....short trips to & from the local 7-eleven, etc. are "killers."

Bottom line.....fuel viscosity is very important in the long run for IP/injector life as well as coking problems. Viscosity has/needs to be achieved by heat or some other means.....like thinning. I used to mix 5%-10% RUG in my WVO during cool/cold weather to help with viscosity before I got my fuel system heated.
As the old saying goes about these diesel rigs "Ya gotta get that-thur iron hot to run boys!!!";Really
Another one is "Whur there's smoke, there's fire":rotflmao
And "if she's rolling, she's not broke!!":Sly :Sly
And, and....ah heck! I gotta go...

Just my 2-cents........
James

foamdoc

Reaction score
I've been researching the hyd oil for a couple months now. I haven't found enough negative FACTS to make me believe it won't work. I'm gonne start with mixing the hyd with about 15% methanol, just like VO biodiesel and run it at about 50/50 mix.......maybe a little less as winter starts to settle in. I am also planning on WVO and getting a heating fuel system for that. I wonder if I can run straight hyd oil if I heat it just like WVO?:Sly I also like to the idea of adding an injection system (water-****/propane) to help keep the cabon deposits out of the engine. I guess a little time and experimentation will tell.........Thanks everyone for the info...........Looking forward to some alternative fuel solutions!;Sweet

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started adding a quart of ATF with every tank full for the last month on an IP and injectors that need to be overhauled/replaced and noticed my consumption went from 13 mpg to 16.9 mpg. Most of this driving was on the open road (60%) with city driving and hauling my lawn trailor about evenly the rest of the time. Please note that this increase was over the last six or eight tank fulls. My $.02 worth, if the oil you are using is clean and the viscosity allows the oil to penetrate into the FINE clearances (.0001" or so), you should not have any problems with the pumps and injectors.

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think atf is a good idea. All you need is to get pulled over by DOT and have them dip your tank and see red and your done. DOT guys are nuts. What does the WMO do for your fuel mileage?

Chris