Update on the Hypermax Head Gasket

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else I forgot to say is, that he also mentioned that he thought the only reason the idi never took off with the aftermarket is because of the head gaskets. He said that after we talked about the strength of the rods...

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update?

Will these be like the deck plates tractors like join deere run on their heads?

Funny thought. The old 92 series Detroits don't use hg at all! Just a small two piece gasket looks like what you would use on a valve !

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
They are a gas filled wire ring type gasket. Last I talked to them, they were not yet ready to produce one yet. I believe they were having issues deciding on which material for the gasket itself was the best option.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I must have talked to then a lil more recently then. It was a month or so ago and he said he had one on the engine testing it. He could have just been saying that though. I do look forward to seeing those things done...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are probably busy with this "little" project still.

You must be registered for see images attach

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
They are probably busy with this "little" project still.

You must be registered for see images attach

Heath

Oh my...... I just wet myself.

I'd be really surprised if an IDI head gasket makes the market. Not being a pessimist, but I just got an inkling that it wasn't a project that was going to take off. I'd love it to do so but I'm not getting my hopes up.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
that IS the chassis... if you look its a rail car chassis...you can see the bellhousing...the drivers cage and the small windshield

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With new cam designs and studs, head gaskets seem to be nonissue. Few on Ob have seen upwards of 20 psi with an intercooled turbo not outside of its limits. The want is there but the need isnt.

These gaskets would be more for high performing engines, very few have a real need for it. I would give my wild ass guess only a few people would bite. How many bit on the hypermax c-channel gasket, 1 in a decade? Money talks. A few hg for idi or spend time and money developing for another platform hmm?

Not sure what the average high horse/torque numbers are here now but last i saw was 220ish hp 450-500 torque which doesnt need fancy headgaskets...

Fuel pump 1k-1.5k, turbo, ic, studs, cam, fab work, thats potentially a few grand and holds together. Machining heads and fancy gasket kits add more cost. Still woukd be awesome to have as an option

There are companies that will custom make gaskets for you for reasonable. You can get the gas rings sortve... It can be done. Got the money?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its not surprising the makers are not burning midnite oil to help us but if they are I will say thankyou for the work, time and money spend on this project. A thicker head gasket would be nice for those heads that have been cut to far.