Update on the Hypermax Head Gasket

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt say it's a bad bad bad idea, but maybe not a good one lol. Reusing head gaskets isn't quite so unheard of, but most people will change them anyway for the peace of mind.

(or maybe I'm clueless about wire ring gaskets or IDI gaskets in general) :D

NEVER ABSOLUTELY NEVER would I reuse a headgasket ever! but eh that's just me being me....

Suppose you could rinse off a ****** n use it over too...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are not right! (in the head) LOL Back on topic please. :)

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
July aug call him in 2 weeks I've talked to him since jan for different things and and info. About once or twice a month there comin along and should be right on time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
NOPE....

And, I wouldn't reuse head gaskets anyway....bad bad bad idea IMHO

Actually, its rather common to reuse MLS head gaskets on european diesels. Spray em down with Hylomar and pop them in and you're good to go.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well any old gasket will stick to the head and once the head is off its usually in multiple pieces.
mls gaskets dont really stick and the hylomar is the part that sticks so you just reapply the sticky stuff.
please no condum jokes about that

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just thought I would update. I talked to Ron today and he said the gaskets were still on the back burner. He didn't totally come out and say it but he did say he have some stuff on the engine and I think they are kinda closer than he says. He mentioned with the precup, it was a bit harder to make a wire-ring gasket but he did say that he needed to do more testing. That is what makes me think that they are closer that he admits.

I also mentioned to him that there has been a pretty big resurgence with the idi and he agreed. He said that he has noticed that more people are in the quest to make a bit of power out of them. I think that is a good thing that he knows that, cus that might help to push to get the gaskets done.

Also on a side note another thing that I asked was what he thought about the strength of a stock bottom end. He said that a stock bottom end, even with the NA rods would last easily with 300-400hp. He said it would be more toward 500hp that the stock internals would be a bit weak. He said at the power levels that quite a few of us are now aiming for, the bottom end will hold.