Update on the Hypermax Head Gasket

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I feel like its safe to atleast say now that Hypermax is in fact R&D'ing a new head gasket design for our engines. It has been spoken about here a couple of times but theres been allot of speculation going around about it. I just spoke with Ron and Jeff today and they have several gasket bodies on the bench and a couple cylinder heads that they are trying sealed wire compression rings in. So they are in fact attempting to make a no machining required oring head gasket available for our engines. These will be just like the cometic phuzions I tried so long to get that company to produce.

So heres a thank you to everyone that has helped push this along by showing interest in this project to hypermax. At first I was worried they would back out of the project because of the cost involved.

There is still no discussion of cost for the head gasket set or anything like that so don't even ask yet. Hopefully soon you will hear of a prototype running in an engine so we can see just exactly what they will take. :thumbsup:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking about calling them today but I just saw this. Are they still doing the ring and gasket set where you have to do a lil machine work?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and another question, is it going to be a multi-layer gasket then?

And Ron your engine would be the perfect test bed for it. Especially since it is apart right now and you plan on running higher boost. You really should get a set. :D

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I believe, from how I understood it when I first started talking to them, they had a whole bunch of the C-rings, just no gasket bodies. Now it sounds like they have gasket bodies so maybe they will be offering both when its all said and done. I'm guessing, the C-ring design will be more for guys willing to put allot of money into their builds for maximum boost, and the sealed wire ring will be for guys wanting a reliable street build (those that wont be pushing the envelope at over 15psi). They are trying a couple different gasket bodies, just to keep speculation out of this one, I'm not going to go out on a limb of the unknown and say that they may be testing and MLS gasket body. We will just have to wait and see.
I do know they are trying a composite material that is thick enough to lower your compression, but who knows if it will pass the tests.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe, from how I understood it when I first started talking to them, they had a whole bunch of the C-rings, just no gasket bodies. Now it sounds like they have gasket bodies so maybe they will be offering both when its all said and done. I'm guessing, the C-ring design will be more for guys willing to put allot of money into their builds for maximum boost, and the sealed wire ring will be for guys wanting a reliable street build (those that wont be pushing the envelope at over 15psi). They are trying a couple different gasket bodies, just to keep speculation out of this one, I'm not going to go out on a limb of the unknown and say that they may be testing and MLS gasket body. We will just have to wait and see.
I do know they are trying a composite material that is thick enough to lower your compression, but who knows if it will pass the tests.

I think you are right about them updating the C-ring. And for the wire ring kit it will be a good one for 15psi and I was thinking maybe even up mid 30s. What ever they do will be better than the gaskets available in my opinion and will allow the guys who want say between 20-35psi more easily hit that without worries.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It'll be cool to see how far people push their engines if they aren't scared about the gasket holding the boost...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I cant wait to get my turbo engine back in my brown truck. I just hope there's not a ton of work to do to it to repair it from the last catastrophe.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hat have you done with it since its been out? And what are gonna do with the gaskets? Have you decked the heads or shaved the block at all?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have all the fuel needed to get high boost out of it, but the Felpro gaskets wouldn't even take 15psi boost with the stock compression ratio. The problem with lowering the compression is it makes it more difficult to start, and more difficult for the engine to burn the fuel properly. I'd like to see how far these new gaskets can be pushed without hundreds of dollars into lowering the compression ratio.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got ya. I guess more what I was meaning, is that have you checked your flatness on your heads and deck?