Update on the Hypermax Head Gasket

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'll do that when I get the gaskets, I'm not sure I can do anything with the heads anymore, they were pretty much ruined by taking the deck down too far when I built it the last time. I will for sure check them for flatness before doing anything else with the engine.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I would for sure. Head and deck flatness are key in trying to make a gasket hold...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Another healthy round of applause for the folks at Hypermax :hail:hail:hail
As I have said many times, the ONLY company out there that still supports our engines with new products ;Sweet
Remember this with your wallet guys, when thinking about new turbo systems. Especially when you consider the basic brush off that cometic has been giving us for a number of years everytime someone has tried to get them to do anything .

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I talked to Ron at Hypermax yesterday. He said the idi gaskets have been started but they got caught up on some other stuff so it has been sitting in the corner the last few weeks. He also told me that they are thinking about only doing the non-machinable type of gaskets and fire-rings too. They might do the machinable type eventually but at this point he's not sure. They are just going to do the non-machinable type cus they are a bit more reasonably priced and will allow us to push more boost. He said those type are the ones that Hypermax uses on the Ford 6.0 and they easily allow up to 40psi. He also told me to call back in a few weeks for another update.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup, Ron told me the same thing as well last week too.
It was casually brought up when I was talking to him about pistons for my project.
I think if there's enough interest it will still get off the ground, but bigger projects take first priority.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there will be quite a bit of interest. It'll be a huge upgrade for only a lil more money. You plan on getting them too? It would really help hold that boost you want to run...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if they can make the gaskets thickness in a few different sizes to change the compression around, I sure could use a .100 thick gasket today...

Javier

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sorry guys,
I hadn't had a whole lot of time to call or do anything for a while. I'm glad you guys took the time to call as well. That makes them know there's allot of interest out there in them. I had thought they were doing both gaskets, but I guess I was wrong.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
its a shame its going to be weeks....id love to have my engine back in the truck and running before then..guess is Victor Reinz for me...I dont really want to be pulling the heads in the truck

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
They are just going to do the non-machinable type cus they are a bit more reasonably priced and will allow us to push more boost. He said those type are the ones that Hypermax uses on the Ford 6.0 and they easily allow up to 40psi. He also told me to call back in a few weeks for another update.

My question about this would be the following. A 6.0 running 40 PSI has a cylinder pressure of....what? I am thinking that the cylinder pressure of a 6.0 running 35 - 40 PSI of boost must be close to what an IDI is running at say 18 - 20 PSI of boost.

6.0's compression ratio is 18:1 where as our IDI's have a compression ratio of 21.5:1

As history unfolds in my memory, these PSD's seem to be getting lower and lower in compression as teh power goes up.

7.3 - 17.5:1
6.0 - 18:1
6.4 - 16.7:1
6.7 16.1:1

I am EXTREMELY interested in what hypermax is doing for these old engines, it goes to show that they might be the loner of the diesel world in power, but there sure are a pile of them on the road after almost 20 years!!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6NebraskaIDIs, from what I took from the coversation is that he would like to do both but it is my assumption that at this point they don't quite have the time to do both. So consequently, they are going to make the ones that more poeple will buy. And Goofy I think what he was meaning to say but it didn't come out right, is that we should be able to run close to 40psi also. Either way, I'm sure it will help us to run more boost safely which is awesome.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
My question about this would be the following. A 6.0 running 40 PSI has a cylinder pressure of....what? I am thinking that the cylinder pressure of a 6.0 running 35 - 40 PSI of boost must be close to what an IDI is running at say 18 - 20 PSI of boost.

6.0's compression ratio is 18:1 where as our IDI's have a compression ratio of 21.5:1
QUOTE]

6.0 running 40 would be similar to an IDI running 30, until fuel is introduced.