Turning up fuel

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't leave the the opening from the compressor to the hose open? The bolt still in the hose and sealing well? You're leaking boost pressure from some where.

Heath

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is defiantly off there.
Are you sure the wastegate is actually plugged?
Another thig I thought off. Don't you have a cowl induction setup and only getting 5 pounds?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with a sidewinder non-wg i hit 5psi wot and up to 7-8psi in 3rd gear. Thats about all though

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i put a tight fitting bolt in the hose between the comp housing and wg actuator. i also clamped it with a hose clamp. and i tied some wire around were the wg bolts to the comp housing to the linkage on the exhaust housing so the wg would not flop open by itself.

i took the bolt back out and hooked it everything back up.

the fitting on the comp housing for the wg was a little loose. i tightened that. i also used some of me exhaust sealant to seal were the comp outlet goes into the intake snail. those two things did not change anything.

i do know that i did turn the fuel up do to the fact that i can now roll coal. it did not effect egt's at all though.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
air filter would be clogged then, that turbo will pull the air, leaves , dirt, and all, you need to go through and pressure check the pressure side piping including your gauge and the line leading to your gauge, put an air reg on your air line and hook it to the pressure side piping and see if the gauge corresponds to the pressure you are regulated to

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
air filter would be clogged then, that turbo will pull the air, leaves , dirt, and all, you need to go through and pressure check the pressure side piping including your gauge and the line leading to your gauge, put an air reg on your air line and hook it to the pressure side piping and see if the gauge corresponds to the pressure you are regulated to

so i take my air compressor and regulate it down to say 10psi and blow it into the end of my boost line and see what the gauge does? i don't have any way of hooking up an air reg inline with my boost line.

If everything was sealed up good shouldn't boost continue to climb with the egt's until the wg opens?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some helpful information about all wastegate actuaters. They have a spring in them that holds the gate closed all the time. Only opens with boost settings. So as you reach you wastegate boost setting pressure it press's open the actuater which in turn pushes the wastegate lever to open the gate in the exhaust housing. When it opens exhaust gas is bypassing the hot side of the turbo and limiting the amount of boost. Completely removing the wastgate actuater will do nothing but boost will continue to climb till it blows a head gasket or overspeeds the turbo. Generally speaking these turbos spin around 120,000 rpm.. Thats 2000 rpm per second... Now if you remove the boost line from the cold side to the actuater and plug it off the gate wont open either. But that really dangerous to do. The gate acts as a safety valve limiting the boost you make.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ok so i tested my boost gauge.

my boost gauge is consistantly reading 5psi less than what i have my air comp regulated to. so a/c set to 20psi, my boost gauge reads 15psi.

so this is telling me that when driving and my gauge reads 5psi i am really pushing 10psi? under normal acceleration my gauge reads 2-3psi so this would really be 7-8psi.

not sure how the gauge could be messed up since it is mechanical so it sounds like the line is kinked/pinched some where.

the odd thing though is last fall when i had my sunpro gauge set up as my boost gauge i was getting the same readings. that had a straight for the boost tube between the turbo and the gauge.:dunno

also i turned my fuel up half a flat from the way it came when it was rebuilt and it gave me a CONSIDERABLE more amt of black smoke. it's like i increased fuel but the boost did not increase resulting in not enough air.:dunno

also if all ^^^^^ is correct how would plugging the wg lower my WOT boost and not make a difference in normal acceleration boost?

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked for leaks around the intake snail?
Like were turbo connects to it and snail to manifold?
It defiantly sounds like your leaking boost somewhere.

As far as the gauge consistally reading 5 pounds low.
If you happen to still have your old boost gauge you could check it too with the compressor.
If it reads 5 pounds low too that could mean its the compressors fault it's reading low during that test.
I only say that because it seems odd that the two gauges read the same on the truck but reads 5 pounds low when you tested it.