Turning up fuel

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i got everything back together. i will test drive tomorrow before work.

i was thinking about it more and i don't know if sealing that hole is going to cure this issue since when i plugged the wg hose it did not change my boost. i am wondering about the compression fitting on the comp housing for the WG. it is kind of sloopy. might be getting a leak there. anybody know what the thread of that hole in the comp housing is? i wan't to get a new 90* fitting with just a hose barb on the end and get a piece of hose to go from the comp housing to the wg actuator.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i am at a total loss now. fixing that hole in the wg head did nothing.

i took the tubing for the wg off and put a pipe plug in the hole on the comp housing and that once again lowered my max boost.

i am not going to turn my fuel up anymore since first it did not help when i first did it and second i am smoking to much now as it is.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much. But timing affects power and economy way more than the turbo does.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Your turbo might need some love. I put a Uhaul pump on my pickup last summer and turned up the pump as much as she'd go (then backed it off a flat) It was a smoky pig and it didn't really increase my boost that much. (and my timing was in pretty good shape) Well turns out the turbine wheel was in pretty **** pour shape. Typ4 has pics of it somewhere around here. I hadn't owned the pickup very long when this all happened, so I'm sure the Prior Owner pulled her heavy and got it warm. After a turbo rebuild, she's been building boost with the best of em

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Your turbo might need some love. I put a Uhaul pump on my pickup last summer and turned up the pump as much as she'd go (then backed it off a flat) It was a smoky pig and it didn't really increase my boost that much. (and my timing was in pretty good shape) Well turns out the turbine wheel was in pretty **** pour shape. Typ4 has pics of it somewhere around here. I hadn't owned the pickup very long when this all happened, so I'm sure the Prior Owner pulled her heavy and got it warm. After a turbo rebuild, she's been building boost with the best of em

that has entered my mind.
plugging wg=no increase in boost, sealing up-pipe leak = no boost increase, turning up fuel about .5-1 flat = no boost increase. all of which should have given me more boost but did not.

i also have ZERO hotside whistle.

How long after you shut the engine off does the comp wheel continue to spin? mine stops almost right away.

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
that has entered my mind.
plugging wg=no increase in boost, sealing up-pipe leak = no boost increase, turning up fuel about .5-1 flat = no boost increase. all of which should have given me more boost but did not.

i also have ZERO hotside whistle.

How long after you shut the engine off does the comp wheel continue to spin? mine stops almost right away.

Mine had zero whistle too pre Typ4 rebuild. As for how fast the wheel stops, I can't say on this particular turbo I've ever watched that happen. On other Diesel Turbo'd pickups I've owned it was not instant or right away; it often took a few seconds to see the wheel come to a full stop