turbo charging a 6.2 diesel

alwaysnine

Reaction score
you guys seem pretty smart , i have a 89 suburban with a 6.2 with 81K on it . it is a real slug. what do i do to squeeze more power from it , i have a 6.5 turbo charger , would like to put it on the 6.2 , but do not know how to go about doing this . i build blower motors , not turbo diesels . i was hoping to plead ignorance to somebody out there who has turbo charged a 6.2 . i love the truck and don't want to give it up , but it is a shop truck and we tow boats with it . so it HAS to have more OOMPH or it has to go . any help would be greatly appreciated

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
There's a shop here that claims better HP gains from the 6.2 by installing a 6.5 pump and headers, instead of a turbo.

Just a thought for ya.

alwaysnine

Reaction score
6.2 headers @6.5 pump

where do you get the headers for these things , and aren't the 6.5 pumps diff.???electronically controlled or something??

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
A shop that I bend a little custom exhaust for does headers on a lot of the non-turbo V-8's. He claims that 6.9's, and IDI's run better with headers and duals than with a turbo. I'm sure a 6.2 will. Factory mainfolds suck. Free flow exhaust will provide better cylinder scavenging.

I think it was a grenaded 6.5 originally. He just dropped a 6.2 in instead. It was a mid 90's Chev.

If you want to contact him, drop me a PM, and I'll get you his number.