tubular manifolds

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i dont have pics as of yet i will get some up asap i will be aprox a 1/4 inch thick phlange and it will be jet coated steel or stainless for those that dont want the jet coating

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Thought about it and asked but no one was serious at the time

There's definitely a need for what you guys can do, just like anything else, since this is a very small market, it just has to be played right. No one really has tapped into the IDI to make it comparable in performance as say the other engines that are out there. But if it can be shown that the IDI can run with them in the 300-500hp range, and do it economically, it could mean opening up an untapped market. The only thing that happens after that is these once cheap diesels start to get expensive because of the popularity.

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the jet coaters are on board. also are there any of you in the sherman county area with a boosted truck.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I think Russ (typ4 is his handle) is out your way. Towcat, icanfixitall are in California. There are some others on the west coast.

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well from my searching it looks like im going to fab up full kits ic and non ic and try and beat the going prices the turbo of choice will be a hx40 or 35 unless otherwise specified but im not a buisness im doing it out of the kindness of my pocket. also if mike and russ can give me a pm maybe we could put together a full on power kit for these truck just throwing it out there let me know guys.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The first order of business is to get 350-375hp out of an IDI reliably. A set of shorty headers that can integrate into the stock exhaust system and current turbo systems that have thick flanges and easy access to the bolts. Equal length would be nice, but if there's no room that's ok. A block hugger style header also for engine swaps. A tuned, full length header for natural applications or supercharged apps.

How soon can you get the first set up or are you still in the planning stages?

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
planing stages if the weather lets up a bit it will be sooner than later. what do you guys think about moving the location of are turbos?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with it, I'd rather it be in an easier more accessible place. But having headers that can match up to the current kits would make life easier. Did you see the post for the front mounted Rajay system? That system puts the turbo driver's side front.

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah i saw that well im working on location for a full new kit but in the mean time i work on on for the people that have kits allready. i just hate the compresion fits on are exhast.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool idea/project ;Sweet

I am interested in a set of normally aspirated set of headers. I would be probably be willing to give you my truck for a week to prototype a set if you need a test mule. My exhaust is totally stock and from what I've seen, the only good part is that it fits well and is relatively quiet. I also have some good sources here in Portland for heavier walled tubing.

Let me know either way, although I am certain you are going to get more interest on the turbo applications as those guys really want to make power.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Cool idea/project ;Sweet

I am interested in a set of normally aspirated set of headers. I would be probably be willing to give you my truck for a week to prototype a set if you need a test mule. My exhaust is totally stock and from what I've seen, the only good part is that it fits well and is relatively quiet. I also have some good sources here in Portland for heavier walled tubing.

Let me know either way, although I am certain you are going to get more interest on the turbo applications as those guys really want to make power.

I'm going to be working on some NA cams that can take advantage of improvements in the exhaust. The jury is out on headers without some more modifications to get the gasses flowing.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO the jury ain't out: cast manifolds flow poorly. The only reason they aren't utilized on diesels is that the temperatures and vibration tend to destroy them unless they are built really stoutly. Combine the stock IDI manifolds with the lousy/small factory y-pipe (if you ever see where the joint is, one pipe sticks into the other about two full inches making it flow really poorly) and you'll see why I am thinking about duals and/or NA headers. I think there's some cheap hp/torque gains and perhaps more attractively maybe some fuel mileage.

My best passes in the "Little Yellow Pig" were put down three Friday's ago, 10.58 and 10.57 on back to back passes, both at 124 MPH. Really good cool conditions, good fuel and sticky track (Portland International Raceway).

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I should have read your car description a little more closely before I posted, I think you saw it before I edited; but anyways, since you race Ford gassers, the problem with the IH 6.9/7.3 is similiar in terms of the port flow relationship and cam timing from the factory, it kinda sucks. There was a post about full length headers on the IDI and the improvement was like 10hp/15 lbs-ft of torque. I don't know if that was at the flywheel or at the tire, but it wasn't dramatic. I know further testing needs to be done. The cam issue is getting worked on now, since the cam pretty much takes a nose dive after 2900 rpms.

How does the Pinto 60 ft?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin