Trying to identify manifold coolant sensor

jax1463

Reaction score
I had a coolant leak at he back of 7.3L IDI and I found a sensor on the top of the intake manifold was leaking.
It's located at the drivers side rear of the manifold. The sensor actually popped off as soon as I touched it.
I obviously don't need it, but would like to know what it was for. For now I plugged it off. I found the connector that I think was plugged into it.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5602.jpg
    IMG_5602.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5603.jpg
    IMG_5603.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5604.jpg
    IMG_5604.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 25

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that's 6.9 specific, and may be for the glow plug system, because I've never seen that on any of the 7.3's I've worked on.

jax1463

Reaction score
I'm going to assume that's 6.9 specific, and may be for the glow plug system, because I've never seen that on any of the 7.3's I've worked on.
The original owner had it converted from a 6.9 to a 7.3. Maybe they installed the 6.9 manifold onto the 7.3?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a coolant leak at he back of 7.3L IDI and I found a sensor on the top of the intake manifold was leaking.
It's located at the drivers side rear of the manifold. The sensor actually popped off as soon as I touched it.
I obviously don't need it, but would like to know what it was for. For now I plugged it off. I found the connector that I think was plugged into it.
Any ideas?
That's the glow plug control for the 6.9.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely the 6.9 glow plug controller, it's what would have been stock on your 84. Having a later 7.3 installed, they likely swapped it to the 7.3 because they didn't know it wasn't needed.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youre welcome
Thank you a bunch...that is better than a pin-up...much more to look at and admire...

Can we ask you to post the other side of the engine...? Just to make it even...?

I have this thing about uniformity...and the other side needs to be exhibited in all of it's glory...at least I think so....at least for those of us that are looking for the block heater...'n such...

Thanks in advance...

One more thing...has anyone thought about putting a drain plug in the oil pan in the front to get out that last bit of old engine oil...?

Last time I drained mine I jacked the truck up as far as I could to try to get it all out...but...I could not get every last drop...

Thanks again...

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you a bunch...that is better than a pin-up...much more to look at and admire...

Can we ask you to post the other side of the engine...? Just to make it even...?

I have this thing about uniformity...and the other side needs to be exhibited in all of it's glory...at least I think so....at least for those of us that are looking for the block heater...'n such...

Thanks in advance...

One more thing...has anyone thought about putting a drain plug in the oil pan in the front to get out that last bit of old engine oil...?

Last time I drained mine I jacked the truck up as far as I could to try to get it all out...but...I could not get every last drop...

Thanks again...
The top of the engine is impressive to when it's a line drawing like that.

And I like your thoughts about getting all the oil out. For me, it's like how y'all jiggle the handle on the fuel pump, because that extra drop of used motor oil........gets my truck down the road a bit farther......

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
A good shot of one installed:
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: i should scroll down the thread more before replying

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know....I had the poster AND the pillow.
I just had a plastic coffee mug with her picture on it. One time, my mom put it in the dishwasher. Somehow the picture turned around inside the two layers of plastic while in the dishwasher so the handle was centered over the middle of her face. It looked like she had a huge, misshapen nose. Even at less than 10, I was devastated. I can't remember Charlie's Angles at all, but I still can remember the trauma of that coffee mug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online