Transfer case issue

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completed the zf swap. I believe Its a 1356 case attached to it. I was pulling my camper last weekend. While driving about 60 the case make a noise and jumped out of gear ( I guess ). When I got ot and looked the piece that goes into the side of the transfer case that you move to lock and under lock the case was just barely in the case. I got it to finally go back in but it just moves around in there. Any idea as to what happened ?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had a 1356 apart, but on the 1345, there is a bolt that threads into a notch on the shift arm that keeps it in place. There is also an "E" clip internally IIRC. Reguardless, that case needs to be opened and repaired.

Heath

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shift arm goes through the case and into the shift plate. That arm is splined to that plate and retained with an E clip IIRC. Clip could have popped off and the plate could have fallen down.

Can you pull the little shift arm out of the Tcase?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common problem in the 1356 transfer cases. Mine the arm actually wollowed out the tcase housing and allowed the shift plate to fall away from the forks. Ut would then fall unto neutral when I was shifting gears. I pulled mine apart and shimmed the linkage with washersto get me by till I could find another one.

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shift arm goes through the case and into the shift plate. That arm is splined to that plate and retained with an E clip IIRC. Clip could have popped off and the plate could have fallen down.

Can you pull the little shift arm out of the Tcase?

Yes the little shift arm that goes into the side of the case is out.

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got several spares if you need one.

How much ? I can't seem to catch a break lately. I just put this tranny and case in the truck 2 weeks ago and its down again. I dont really have time to tear into it right now. Im In the midfle of a motor swap in my wives Durango that I just put 2,700 Into a month ago and then the motor blew so I'm now 3,000 in to a new motor. Where are you located and how much do want for a case ?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
He's over in Deland/Osteen. Luckily a Tcase swap isn't that difficult but only because I've done mine 5 or 6 times. I suggest keeping your current case as a spare, I've got my old one layin out back that I have scavenged parts off of for myself and others.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot me a pm. we can figure something out. I sometimes like trades and I do like beer lol.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Swap a t-case in an afternoon? I can have one in and out in under an hr, that leaves the rest of the afternoon for boozin! These buggers are akward though, just be careful when removing it.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Swap a t-case in an afternoon? I can have one in and out in under an hr, that leaves the rest of the afternoon for boozin! These buggers are akward though, just be careful when removing it.

Hey I did say LESS than an afternoon, but I haven't done many, so it still takes my **** a little longer... LOL

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've never seen me drink lol. Its when the shots start coming out that the night starts going south.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin