tranny problems

my94idi

Reaction score
i have a 94 turbo diesel with the 7.3 idi motor. my trans is getting warm i belive and ******* out fluid when i am towing with it. any idea if i can put an aftermarket temp gauge on it? or what my issue my be.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely put a temp gauge on it, and then add a fan powered cooler on the frame rail.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep sounds like she's heating up. When towing is she hunting between 3rd and 4th? Reason I ask is as the trans shifts it slips to cushion the shifts which when it slips it generates excess heat. Sometimes it's better to just hold her in 3rd gear or speed up so that she's not hunting.

extra cooling is a must with any auto trans. I would pick up like Mel suggested a fan cooled unit or get the biggest thing you can lay yer hands on and mount it in front of the ac condenser, just plumb it in so that it's the very last thing the fluid sees before the trans. The rear line on the trans is the RETURN line the front line is the HOT OUTPUT line to the stock cooler in the bottom of the rad. that is what I ran on the E and my trans temps never got out of line unless I was backing up the driveway (uphill) to put the trailer away.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E4OD's will push fluid out of the vent when they heat up (overheat). Adding a big cooler should take care of the fluid loss.

You may want to pull the codes and see if there are any trans slip codes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726