Tramsformer oil?

diesel dummy

Reaction score
Ok guys I may have a chance to get 273 gallons of electrical transformer oil for free.Does anyone see a problem with running it thru my centrifuge and burning it in my 7.3 idi? The oil is used as a cooling oil in the transformer,it is pcb free. It was made in 1990.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to procure some transformer oil for the last few months, I wouldn't hesitate to run it as long as it's PCB free like you said. Let us know if you get it and how it burns; from what I've read/heard, it oughta burn cleaner than WMO.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get a MSDS sheet from whoever is giving it, might help.

diesel dummy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's,as for a msds sheet I have been an electrician since the 80's so I know that pcb's were banned before 1990.Just not sure what happens to oil that's been heated and cooled for 23 years.I guess it would still be good the transformer was still in service till last year when they needed more power it got upgraded.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's,as for a msds sheet I have been an electrician since the 80's so I know that pcb's were banned before 1990.Just not sure what happens to oil that's been heated and cooled for 23 years.I guess it would still be good the transformer was still in service till last year when they needed more power it got upgraded.

Hopefully it doesn't have any. Removed linoleum flooring when I was about 16 that was installed in this house built new in 93, found out it had asbestos in it. New construction, and still had asbestos... Hopefully nothing happened, didn't wear a mask

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be really good for mixing with diesel or RUG.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I work at a wind farm and if its type 1 transformer oil, I could get you an MSDS for it. Seems pretty lightweight. We have pretty small step down OA transformers 34.5kv to 690v (2600kVa). Not anything from a switch yard or anything.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I "think" it should be fine, the transformers oil I have seen was similar to mineral oil maybe a bit heavier. I just took a fire training course that states transformer oil is classified as flammable vs combustible, so it would probably run quite well.

diesel dummy

Reaction score
I will see if I can get more info from work on the type of oil in it.I am still waiting for them to decide on what they are doing with it.Hopefully I can get the oil,273 gallons is quite a bit of fuel.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local transformer decommissioning company still gets in oil that is contaminated with PCBs. Sometimes the level is so toxic they have to separate it from the lower level oils into a special container that is heavily inspected by the EPA.

Since I have no way to test the oil, I gave up on it and am staying with oil that won't give me cancer.

diesel dummy

Reaction score
Wow I will get the msds before I take the oil.I know there are alot of old transformers out there this one is made in 1990,I will still check it out to make sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online