Total Worm Moment Engine Grounds?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ok so had a friend look at the 85 in sig he thinks the won't crank with key is because I'm missing all the engine grounds which makes sense but how many grounds do or engines have?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 main engine grounds that come to mind. One goes from negative battery post to front/bottom (drivers side) of the engine that's right below PS pump. The other attaches to the back of cylinder head (drivers side) and connects to cab if I am remembering correctly.
Then there is also a ground that goes from frame to cab. Think that one is on passenger side underneath truck somewhere. And another that attaches to cab & hood (passenger side). Clear as mud?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
And the glow plug harness is also grounded too right?
Thanks for your help what gauge would be best?

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know where the grounds are but I do have a rule of thumb when it comes to grounding in general. You can never have too much amperage capacity in a ground.

I use 0/1 speaker wire personally. In a pinch I'd use wire from a welding supply, that's not a compromise in any way. I just happen to have a lot of 0/1 speaker wire. Both are good for 300+ amps.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the glow plug harness is also grounded too right?
Thanks for your help what gauge would be best?

Yes. There is a ground for the glow plug harness that attaches to rear intake manifold on the drivers side. Forgot that one.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your battery cable that goes from drivers side to pass side, on the drivers side it should have two negative wires, one goes to the engine and the other smaller and short one connects to the frame. Other grounds as described above.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Three main grounds on ALL idi engines. One to each side of the engine block from each battery and one from the firewall near the windshield wiper motor. Of course there is the ones posted and some for the head lights.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I had this same kind of problem last year due to the grounds for the block. I got the truck with large speaker wire as all the battery cables and set screw-type connectors (set screw for the cable end, usually nickel or gold plated at the parts stores, highly recommend). Both batteries are now grounded to the frame and from those same bolts are 2 more cables grounding to the block. There is supposed to be one on each side of the block, but I was missing one bolt and couldn't find a replacement easily, so they are both grounded to the passenger side ground bolt. I also ran an 8 gauge wire from the CDR bolt on the back of the intake to the wiper motor and another from that to the driver's side hood hinge bolt. You can never have enough grounds.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom of the block in the picture above. Left and right battery negative cables.

Heath

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also going to add I run 0/1 o(r the largest I can fit) to the alternator and 0/1 to the starter.

A really cheap way to get good wire is you look at car audio discount websites. Sonic Electronix and online car stereo.

I picked this kick up for $80 with price matching. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68670_Kicker-PKD1.html

And if you like fancy colors then KnuKoncepts still seems to be the place to buy without any discount.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/power-wire/

Last edited: