TIcking

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do an atf treatment for a day then revisit. Then when running crack one injector at a time to see if it specifically goes away and is linked to one?

And if I can hear that video right, that tick isn't the nasty tick you would get when low on oil right?

Has anybody ever noticed that these ips have a ticking noise to them when operating? Perhaps you don't hear it over other noises typically but I wonder if an older pump could be loud enough at just the right time? I thought it was just my old pump but I have seen it on another and a uhaul pump.

Do you have an electrical fuel pump? My new to me carrier pump I installed weeks back has its own noise although not that easy to detect from the cab.

On my old vw a few months back one day the car lost all boost and sounded like a vw bug. I freaked out but felt around and found numerous exhaust studs loose and even one broke off. It always had a wierd stink with the window down as well that I didn't think much of when I first got it. That also went away after I broke everything down and resealed with new bolts/gaskets, etc. So the smell was always a warning but the boost loss came sord of gradually and intermittently until the final blowout.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ive noticed after more driving is that as soon as you hit the go pedal the tick goes away. Im not sure if it goes away or the engine noise is killing the sound. You can really hear it in the cab, but as soon as you get out of the truck you really cant hear it.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
If I just barely touch the go pedal the sound goes away. Kinda baffled as to what the heck it is. Could it be torque converter or flex plate making this noise?

ohiozj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck. im fighting a bad knock too. but mine is opposite yours, it sounds fine at idle but then the knock comes with any rpms over idle.

ohiozj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know, ive only had the truck for about a year. the truck has about 170k on it

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Here is something else I noticed. After the truck sits a while and I start it up, no rattle, but as soon as I hit the throttle and let go of it there it is again. Still goes away with the slightest touch of the pedal.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Apparently it was the oil being like water that was making the ticking sound.... I changed it back to some good ole rotella 15w40.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 7.3 non turbo had the same tick. I figure its the ip like damac, as tick comes and goes. It also doesn't get any worse and goes away when revved hard or at higher rpms, so rod or bottom end must be out. My new full rebuilt 7.3 turbo also has that tick but quieter so it must be normal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online