Thinking long and hard about jumping over to the dark side... Not the Dodge dark side

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
My current truck (the 94) has been good to me (except for when the factory turbo engine **** the bed on me,) but it's starting to get to the point where the laundry list of things it needs repaired or replaced is turning more into a book.
Latest insult was when the rear wheel cylinder sprouted a significant leak and required replacement half-way through my visit from the swine flu. Needless to say I was a little agitated sitting under the truck replacing brake parts while suffering flu.
I don't discourage easily, but it's come to my attention that I may never be able to catch-up and get all the things done on it that I want before another major failure rears its ugly head.
I bought this truck because I wanted a very nice OBS, good paint, nice interior, the whole thing.
Problem is that every time I start to get close to having enough saved up to paint the truck, a $200-300 repair comes up. The latest is the dual mass flywheel that sounds like it's getting ready to go nuclear on me. Not to say I didn't see it coming, I am just not sure I want to try and rip into this thing in my driveway again. I am also sick and tired of the horrible ride quality. I spend 2 hours a day, every day in this truck on miserable, neglected, California roads, and the TTB axle configuration on this truck has me pretty well pissed off by Friday afternoon. I've put in air springs, replaced every wear component and still had no measurable improvement in ride quality. Again, I could go the D60 axle swap route, but again, I would be under the truck wrestling the damn thing into place by myself to make it happen.

This past month with the rear axle swap in the van showed me that I am only one guy, and I have limits to what I can do. I think as age increases on my musculoskeletal system I am learning that lifting and rolling a 400 lb truck component by myself is no longer an option.

My problem is that the 2000-2002 super duties are starting to look more and more appealing to me. Being stuck in SF bay area traffic every day and a chronic sore/numb left foot has me longing for a reliable automatic. The stretch of road I commute on (HWY 17) has me wanting to stay in a heavy truck (seen enough gore on that highway to not want a Honda Civic anytime soon) Having driven this vintage of power stroke truck I do know that they are, for the most part, relatively reliable. I have been able to find (not anywhere near me, mind you) some reasonably low mile trucks that would fit my needs.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that I can fix most anything on this truck with a big enough wrench. But, at what point do you start to desire moreso to throw a shop some coin to take care of things for you rather than give up family time, every weekend, some long nights?

I may just be ******** for the sake of ********. I've seen other members come on here and voice the same dilemma. I could probably do a search and come up with most of the same answers too.

:dunno

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same considerations myself. Even put her up for sale a few times just to back out . But when you consider what you know about what you have , versus what you don't know about about the nice one for sale . Or the lack of a payment on a vehicle that will never again be worth what you have in it. All I can say is ....yeah ...I get real tired of looking at the same metal for so long , and I even more tired of back tracking and fixing the same thing twice . But ..it is what it is , I'll get it all finished one day , then I'll be done ......and if she breaks again....I'll set fire to her and push her over the hill

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what you want and don't worry about making excuses to justify it. I hardly consider a rear wheel cylinder anything other than a minor repair, but don't be fooled into thinking a newer truck will solve all your problems. A 2001 is still 14 years old. If you want softer ride quality, put on some flotation tires. I have 33" on mine, and it rides much better than the stock wheels and tires.

Also, if you are worried about safety, get a sports car. I would much rather avoid an accident than try to survive it.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too was having these thoughts. Just changing my tires today i found out the drivers side ball joints are shot and i have a transmission cooling line leaking. I already knew Both rear wheel seals seep, the engine slobbers oil from everywhere, the cab has been patched.
I'm about to start a new job that is an hour drive each way and I don't know if the old girl is up to it every day. I just can't imagine taking on a truck payment and knowing it too will break someday for a much costlier part than the idi would have been.

Life strikes again.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing ....I also have a 2000 tundra , when I buy parts for her and my dads 2000 powerstroke , I'm glad I own an old clunker . $100-$150 for all 8 injectors, vs $200 or so apiece, $500-600 for an IP vs $1500. May be old and have her faults but parts are cheap. And it doesn't matter what you drive , your gonna work on eventually . Of course unless you trade up every two years, but you'll pay $$$ for that too. My truck's biggest problem is I get too used to driving her, then forget what I should have fixed . ....and it builds up and builds up.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nutless-
i know you well enough. you're too damn cheap to farm out any work. you are currently living with known problems. they are not insurmountable or it will be in my shop getting worked on. and that's my point. you can fix your stuff still, with a "newer" truck, there are still items that have worn out with mileage and age. only difference the price tag is a little bigger now. even with a "new" truck, your problems are not over with. every one I see has an extended warranty and all I do is maintence and diagnosis to the point where the dealer needs to take ownership of the issue. at least you will get to know the nice girls at Enterprise-rent-a-car and be in one of their shitboxes while your truck is down for warranty work.
good luck with it.
suck up and get a D60 under your truck. you'll be wondering why you didn't a long time ago.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
nutless-
i know you well enough. you're too damn cheap to farm out any work. you are currently living with known problems. they are not insurmountable or it will be in my shop getting worked on. and that's my point. you can fix your stuff still, with a "newer" truck, there are still items that have worn out with mileage and age. only difference the price tag is a little bigger now. even with a "new" truck, your problems are not over with. every one I see has an extended warranty and all I do is maintence and diagnosis to the point where the dealer needs to take ownership of the issue. at least you will get to know the nice girls at Enterprise-rent-a-car and be in one of their shitboxes while your truck is down for warranty work.
good luck with it.
suck up and get a D60 under your truck. you'll be wondering why you didn't a long time ago.

LOL

You're not wrong!

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
^^^^What these guys are saying, a 2000 is almost a 15 year old truck, it will break down like any truck will, only the parts will be costlier and harder to work on.

Even new isn't trouble-free. I got a new company truck in 2007, a F150 4x4 CC 5.4L Triton. Nice enough truck as far as cheap plastic trucks go. The cd player eats CDs, the dash lights went out, the anti-lock brake system developed problems. Warranty took care of that stuff. The moment the warranty was up the wiper motor, the switch, and the control module died as well did the power window controls. $800 later it was good to go again. (I have trucks from the 60's that still have their original wiper motor and switches, but I digress.)
The truck's still young, just turned 80K, never been off-roaded, most miles on the highway, well maintained.
Power windows controls are going out again, the cruise is acting weird, and the A/C is leaking.....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My current truck (the 94) has been good to me (except for when the factory turbo engine **** the bed on me,) but it's starting to get to the point where the laundry list of things it needs repaired or replaced is turning more into a book.
Latest insult was when the rear wheel cylinder sprouted a significant leak and required replacement half-way through my visit from the swine flu. Needless to say I was a little agitated sitting under the truck replacing brake parts while suffering flu.
I don't discourage easily, but it's come to my attention that I may never be able to catch-up and get all the things done on it that I want before another major failure rears its ugly head.
I bought this truck because I wanted a very nice OBS, good paint, nice interior, the whole thing.
Problem is that every time I start to get close to having enough saved up to paint the truck, a $200-300 repair comes up. The latest is the dual mass flywheel that sounds like it's getting ready to go nuclear on me. Not to say I didn't see it coming, I am just not sure I want to try and rip into this thing in my driveway again. I am also sick and tired of the horrible ride quality. I spend 2 hours a day, every day in this truck on miserable, neglected, California roads, and the TTB axle configuration on this truck has me pretty well pissed off by Friday afternoon. I've put in air springs, replaced every wear component and still had no measurable improvement in ride quality. Again, I could go the D60 axle swap route, but again, I would be under the truck wrestling the damn thing into place by myself to make it happen.

This past month with the rear axle swap in the van showed me that I am only one guy, and I have limits to what I can do. I think as age increases on my musculoskeletal system I am learning that lifting and rolling a 400 lb truck component by myself is no longer an option.

My problem is that the 2000-2002 super duties are starting to look more and more appealing to me. Being stuck in SF bay area traffic every day and a chronic sore/numb left foot has me longing for a reliable automatic. The stretch of road I commute on (HWY 17) has me wanting to stay in a heavy truck (seen enough gore on that highway to not want a Honda Civic anytime soon) Having driven this vintage of power stroke truck I do know that they are, for the most part, relatively reliable. I have been able to find (not anywhere near me, mind you) some reasonably low mile trucks that would fit my needs.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that I can fix most anything on this truck with a big enough wrench. But, at what point do you start to desire moreso to throw a shop some coin to take care of things for you rather than give up family time, every weekend, some long nights?

I may just be ******** for the sake of ********. I've seen other members come on here and voice the same dilemma. I could probably do a search and come up with most of the same answers too.

and to think,some of us fools like to do it all over again and buy another.:D

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is more of a vent thread. I just ordered all new front end parts, i have a cab to put on it, i have a fresh engine to put in it, i have another rearend to throw under it, and i have all the tools to do this stuff. So at the end of the day how far ahead would we be if we all went out and bought newer trucks we know much less about and cant fix without buying a $$$$ scanner or throwing $$$$$ parts at it?

And yes, most of us cant stop at just one of these old pigs

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
This is more of a vent thread. I just ordered all new front end parts, i have a cab to put on it, i have a fresh engine to put in it, i have another rearend to throw under it, and i have all the tools to do this stuff. So at the end of the day how far ahead would we be if we all went out and bought newer trucks we know much less about and cant fix without buying a $$$$ scanner or throwing $$$$$ parts at it?

And yes, most of us cant stop at just one of these old pigs

if I was local i'd come over and assist. way too far away though, and I won't guarantee that I won't round a few bolts or f' something up with a torque wrench. Evil beasts those are. Luckily my free labor offer is marooned on the internet and west coast. your vehicle is safe from my unskilled paws...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score

You think the dana 50 rides like ****? Drive a single cab f350 4wd.

Your trading a set of known problems for something that will break down and cost you even more.

I know your pain of SF bay area traffic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should think about upgrading your work facility to assist you in keeping your old truck going, to make the jobs easier, if that is possible. I have a 40x60 shop building with a lift in it and you cannot believe the difference it makes in my willingness to take on repair jobs. Not saying you have to go that far, but see what is possible given where you live. Maybe just better tools and better garage equipment can make it worth your while to keep the old girl and maybe even look forward to yanking that transmission.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the d-50 to d-60 swat myself, on the ground, in less than 4 hours total. Did not help the ride! Really starting to hate the truck. Then I bought a set of goodyear Hiway tread tires. Used. 33x12.4x16.5. I swear the truck rides like new. No joke. I still dont like traffic, but the truck rides better than a new one. I cant beleive how much difference a set of tires made.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828