Think it's worth it? 88 F-250

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to diesels, and I've been lurking around here for a while and I just joined up;Sweet .

I've been looking for a tow rig for my Jeep, preferrably in the diesel flavor and I think I may have found one. It's an 88 F-250 4x4 with a 7.3 IDI, a C6 (I think), regular cab, and 180,000 miles on it. Here's the catch, it's in the junkyard that I work at. They just bought it while I was on break (it even has new tags for this year). According to them it has a bad tranny, and while I was still on break they pulled the front end out only to realize that it was a D44 TTB instead of the D50 that the customer wanted. One thing that really draws me to it is the fact that it has the same paint as an F-150 that I used to own that holds sentimental value to me.:Q

They want $850 for it, which includes everything that they took off. They also have a C6 that they say is good for $250. I'd like to try to haggle them down to $1,000 with the tranny. Does that sound reasonable? I can change out the tranny in my hobby auto class after checking it out. Also, what are some things that I should check on the engine first to get it reliable? I can check for cavitation by running it and seeing if any bubbles come through the radiator with the cap off, right? one more thing before I go, what is the diameter of the IDI's exhaust tubing? I just caught a glimpse of the tailpipe and it looks huge compared to most diesel tailpipes that I've seen.

I've got to go now, I'll probably have more later. Thank you for any help given.:cool

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
Dang, I knew I'd forget some details if I got in a hurry.:frustrate

The body is pretty good with a little chipping paint and a small rust hole over the passenger rear wheel well. The frame has surface rust, but it looks bearable. It also has a pretty good red interior, manual windows and locks, and what looked like a hide-a-way ball in the bed from the quick look over that I gave it.

Edit: I'm also waiting on someone to run a carfax on it for me.

Last edited:

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rampage have you heard it run? How it starts and runs could tell you a lot about the engines condition. 800 seems pretty fair. I get my c-6 rebuilt around here for 600 with shift kits if your used tranny doesn't work you could sure find a reputable trans shop in western ks. Dodge or Garden perhaps. I went to college at garden for John deere ag tech. Like the people hate the sand.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that the diesel C6 is unique, a gasser trans will not work in it.

If you are going to be towing long distances you may be better off with a newer truck with overdrive.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look into this:
For Sale: 84 F250 4X4 DIESEL 6.9 COLD A/ C HEATER NEW BRAKES BATTERY STARTER CLUTCH HAS 5TH WHEEL HITCH AND REESE HITCH $1200.00 Call: 352-284-6928

4x4truckingirl posted it, take a bus there, you could talk them down to a grand and have way less money into it in the end cuz it sounds like it already is a daily driver. Not that $800 is still a bad deal for a diesel at the yard.

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I tried to start it today. The batteries are good according to the load tester, but it seems that the ignition tumbler is busted. One of the head mechanics has an idea to try to get it started anyways, so we'll see what happens. I also got some pics, but I'll have to upload them later in the library since the dorm internet won't let me.

I also found out that it has a trailer brake controller;p. And my auto teacher is willing to rebuild the tranny in it for $300 with his tranny class.

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
Here's the pics.
You must be registered for see images attach

The rust hole.

This proves that it's a C6 doesn't it? As you could guess, I can't fit under it to check it out.

Trailer brake controller.

Sorry about the crappy pics, my camera sucks.

fairlane_68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only drawback is that, assuming it runs and you get it on the road, at 65MPH, the engine is screaming well over 2500 RPM. They can handle it, but fuel economy sucks. I'd rather have one with a 5-speed manual or a E4OD. I know from experience. ;)

But if it at least runs, snag it.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice truck for the money if it runs good. To start it if the ignition doesn't work at all, run power to the two terminals on the IP, turns on fuel flow. Get a jumper wire and first jump to your GP solenoid, for about 7 seconds depending on temp, then jump to the starter solenoid. Should fire up. To shut it off remove the wires from the IP, at the battery.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i wonder why it ended up in the junkyard. nice fixer upper. throw a D60 under it if you have to assemble it anyway.