Think it's worth it? 88 F-250

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I'm currently attending school to become an electrical power lineman at Pratt, KS. I work at the junkyard part time.

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I ran it again today to find out that the fuel / water separator filter was loose and leaking diesel all over the exhaust:eek: , and that the reason that the coolant was low was because whoever pulled the front out put a small hole in the radiator with the forklift-cuss . I ran some stop leak through it and that seemed to stop it. How long does it take to work air out of the cooling system on these trucks? I ran it without the cap on for about 10 minutes with a few bubbles coming out after about 5 minutes and the coolant level changing constantly after that. I had to cut my time short, and it seemed that the upper hose barely started flowing and getting warm when I had to kill it, but I saw no bubbles after the 5 minute martk:D . Now I just need to get the cooling system pressure checker out there to pressure check it and hopefully get the front back under it to drain the oil and see if there's any water in it.

Also, after I ran it for a while the blue smoke out of the exhaust when I hit the gas started to diminish. I guess it has something to do with the glow plugs needing changed out.

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
Well the stop leak didn't hold when I checked it after work, but I think my boss will throw a good radiator into the deal since the other guys put a hole in it.

I also checked the tranny fluid for the heck of it to see if it was burnt, it came out in perfect shape:***: . It looked and smelled like new fluid. So I asked my boss to call the old owner, but he ended up getting the owner's grandfather. Apparantly the owner thought the tranny was bad and sold it to the yard, but the grandfather said that he didn't think it was bad because they put another tranny (didn't tell my boss if it was rebuilt or good used) and a new torque converter in it not too long ago. My boss truely doesn't know because he assumed the tranny was shot and called it junk without trying it out. According to my boss, the linkages may not be hooked up right or something:dunno . Now I really want to get the front end back under it to see what's up, the tranny may be good after all;p . Anybody have any ideas on what might be wrong?

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
Man I hate talking to myself.cookoo

I drained the oil and there's no water in it. It seems that it was too cold today to start it up again after I filled it back up. Anybody have any thoughts on the tranny?

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I want to try it, but I need to get the front end under there first:( . I'm hoping that one of these days I'll run out of things to do and they'll let me put it back together during business hours.