The Crew Cab's Vibration Mystery Solved!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I busted my hump friday night and saturday and got the crew cab back together. No more flywheel/pressure plate issues!

But.......... there is now another issue!-cuss:backoff

Driving the truck home saturday night, everything was great.......initally. The more I drove, the more I notice something wrong. I now have another miss in the engine. The injectors are new BB Delphis from Mel with less than 100 miles on them! When I rains it poors. Not sure which one is the culprit, but I'll track it down. I'll likely just pull them and pop test them and see which ones are acting up.

I talked with Mel about a failing pump putting debris into the injectors, but that's not something I've heard of before. It will be interesting to see if the same injectors are bad as before. The original injectors all pop tested well before going into the truck, but 3 of them were dismal after just 2000 miles.

I really just want to go camping........... I'm getting sick of truck drama.

Heath

Last edited:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen on that. I've got a 94 IDIT I built for a friend which got new injectors from Typ4 in it. After a couple days it developed a miss. He needs to slow down a bit so he can get it back to me so I can find which injectors are causing the vibration in his truck. His wife made the comment if they go anywhere she doesn't need him that night as it vibrates so much.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting follow up on the SMF.

Just a little follow up on the SMF I have on the crew cab. I got a call yesterday from the machine shop about balancing the roatating assembly. The guy doing the balancing was surprised by how "off" the balance was on the South Bend SMF. He would have to remove about 300 grams of weight from the rear crank counter-weight or start modifying the flywheel to make it work. He even asked of the flywheel was really for an IDI. I had him mod the flywheel and not take that much weight off the crank.

I've seen the same flywheel for sale through other vendors. It's likely a offshore part with poor quality control. Regaurdless, South Bend should really make sure they send out good units. They didn't put up a fuss at all when I asked them to replace my 1st SMF. I'm sure they know there are quality issues, but keep selling them anywhy. I'm a bit pissed about it. I'll post up some photos and how much modification was needed to keep the 6.9 internally balanced.

Heath

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath.... With all you have been thru and adding this to fuel the fire... I would be junking the clutch and flywheel. Thats just way too much wrong with what you have and they the sellers are not really gaining any confidence with me. At this point all you can do is move ahead and hope for the best. About quality controll. I have so many questions but I feel south bend wont even try to answer them. One would feel a clutch is a clutch and the same with a flywheel. But your finding out differantly. No way would I allow some balancer take off from the crank to make a flywheel balance out.. What will happen when you wear out the clutch and maybe burn up the wheel. Nothing else will ever balance that engine again. You were wise telling them not to cut that 300 gms off the crank. Thats about 10.6 ozs...:eek:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Heath, thanks for this heads up.;Sweet This really has me scratching my head as to who you can trust. Southbend is SUPPOSED to be a premier clutch builder, one that all of the high HP guys in the diesel industry go to for a clutch that grips when the gripping gets tough. Did you have the shop do a comparison with and without the clutch disk and pressure plate? I am wondering if Southbend is importing a poor quality flywheel and if their in house built clutch and pressure plate missed the balance issues at hand.:dunno Either way, a disappointment for such a highly regarded name in our industry.-cuss

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should have the capability of spinning the flywheel by itself, and verifying that it is neutrally balanced. This is how it should be done to a internally balanced rotating assembly. If they took weight off of the crank to compensate for the out of whack flywheel, what would happen if you ever had to change the flywheel?
300 grams off of the counterweight is ALOT
They would be way better off taking it off of the flywheel anyway; the further from the crank center line, the less weight needs to be removed. Same concept as leverage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About balancing these engines. When I was having difficultys with my Mahle pistons being so far off from the set of 8 I talked to the head inginers named Eric at Mahle in Tenn. He told be because we run at so low an rpm they felt that anything 14 grams differance in pistons and rotating weight was not going to be a problem....:eek::rotflmao Well I didn't really laugh at him.. After all hes smarter than I when it comes to what they are selling...:angel: So all my pistons combined are between 1/4 and 1/3 gram of being the same weight... So there Eric....;p The finer you balance and machine these engines the more hidden hp comes out of them.. Its that way in all engines. Look at our turbos. They spin in excess of 120,000 rpm... Thats 2000 rpm.... Per second.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way would I allow some balancer take off from the crank to make a flywheel balance out.. What will happen when you wear out the clutch and maybe burn up the wheel. Nothing else will ever balance that engine again. You were wise telling them not to cut that 300 gms off the crank. Thats about 10.6 ozs...:eek:
Yeah, there was no way in the world I was going to let him do that. But, it was "cheaper" to do it that way because he wouldn't have to keep taking the flywheel off the crank to mod and test it. Like you said, when it's time to change the flywheel it'd never be balanced.

Did you have the shop do a comparison with and without the clutch disk and pressure plate? I am wondering if Southbend is importing a poor quality flywheel and if their in house built clutch and pressure plate missed the balance issues at hand.:dunno Either way, a disappointment for such a highly regarded name in our industry.-cuss
I doubt he put the pressure plate and disk on the flywheel during the balancing. But, those parts are South Bend's. The flywheel is not.

They should have the capability of spinning the flywheel by itself, and verifying that it is neutrally balanced. This is how it should be done to a internally balanced rotating assembly. If they took weight off of the crank to compensate for the out of whack flywheel, what would happen if you ever had to change the flywheel?
300 grams off of the counterweight is ALOT
They would be way better off taking it off of the flywheel anyway; the further from the crank center line, the less weight needs to be removed. Same concept as leverage.
Yup, like stated above, I'd be crazy to let them take the weight off the crank just to save the extra labor charge. I've been thinking about this for the last day or so and I remember a conversation with South Bend Clutch before I ordered the SMF kit. They said these IDI were externally ballanced. I told them that was not correct, they are internally balanced. I wonder if the flywheel they use is wrong based on that wrong assumption?

When I was having difficultys with my Mahle pistons being so far off from the set of 8 I talked to the head inginers named Eric at Mahle in Tenn. He told be because we run at so low an rpm they felt that anything 14 grams differance in pistons and rotating weight was not going to be a problem
Talking with the balancer yesterday, he said he had no problems getting the pistons or rods to the same weight. I was glad to hear that as I remember you having an issue with some of your pistons being quite different in mass.

All the parts should be done and ready to pick up in the morning. I'll take some photos and post them up................. likely after the Holiday.:D

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the balancer. He had to drill three 1/2 inch holes about 3/4 of an inch deep to get it neutrally balanced! I don't know where they were drilled, but I'll get some photos of it. I'm leaving here shortly to drive to Indiana to pick everything up.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online