International 4700/4800/4900: upgrade to 4-door crew cab?

Tarh331_Dad

Reaction score
This is a body shop question.

Suppose you start with an International medium duty chassis which you really like [DT466 mechanical P-pump with Spicer or Fuller tranny], but its cab has only two doors and one bench seat, and that's simply not enough interior space for your purposes.

Then suppose you were to find another International, with a sub-par chassis, but a high quality body, and you procure that second truck simply to get its 4-door crew cab body.

Then how difficult would it be to peal off the 2-door cab [from the chassis which you like] and replace it with the 4-door crew cab, so that you would then have both the chassis you liked & the cab you liked?

In general, is this even possible?

Or might there be too many mechanical mis-matches with the underlying frame for the new cab to line up correctly with the old chassis]?

Thanks so much!!!

PS: This same question could apply equally well to platforms such as the Ford 600/700/800/900s from the 1990s era - how easy is it [or how impossible is it] to upgrade from 2-door to 4-door?

Thanks again!!!

Eggman

Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite. Not too familiar with the MDTs, but I wouldn't think it would be too bad of a job. You would have to have the same year CC to replace the single cab just to make it easier. A couple of rolls of 1" masking tape and a couple of sharpies would make things easier to hook back up. And a really tall lift.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on ones fabrication skills. Assuming you can weld, cut, and grind it should be a pretty easy swap, much easier than putting a '51 Mercury body on a '78 Cutlass chassis or some of the other weird things people do. Take a good look at the frames, my guess is the only difference will be the rear cab mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online