The Crew Cab's Vibration Mystery Solved!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you have read about my vibration issue with the crew cab. It started with the conversion from C6 to "typ4" modified 460 ZF5. I used a South Bend Clutch SMF kit. I suspected the flywheel or pressure plate to be the culprit after trouble shooting it and replacing the injectors with a new set of BB's (Thanks Mel).

I dropped the trans last night and ran the truck without a transmission. You could see the pressure plate "camming" in an excentric circle. Yup, the pressure plate is NOT centered on the flywheel! The jig at SBC must have been off when they tapped the holes in the flywheel for the pressure plate.

When I took the pressure plate and the disk off the flywheel........ THERE WAS ZERO VIBRATION! Problem found! I tryed to talk with Peter at SBC this am, but he is out for the week on vacation. I left a message with Brain at customer service. I hope that a new replacment flywheel will be all that is needed. I will post back with an updates.

I still need to find out why my coolant was pressurizing. I will do a cooling system pressure test with freon and a freon sniffer to find the problem later this week.

Heath

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would insist on new clutch components as well. Who knows what damage might have been done! If the clutch was camming also, I'm guessing the bearings in the ZF might have been worked hard as well!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I would insist on new clutch components as well. Who knows what damage might have been done! If the clutch was camming also, I'm guessing the bearings in the ZF might have been worked hard as well!

That's worries me as well. I've got the same vibration at a higher rpm range.
Gonna take the inspection cover off to take some measurements on mine befor I pull it.:confused:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
We put a clutch in a '95 dodge cummins when I was working at the tire shop that had the same thing happen... Although we did not get as in depth as you did. We noticed right after the clutch install (on the test drive, actually) that there was some bad vibrations above 1800 rpm.

Logic told us the clutch was suspect, it was a new Luk kit. Once we had it on the ground it was obvious that the holes were drilled wrong, there was probably close to 1/4" offset to the holes! :eek: It's amazing we didn't grenade the transmission on that one! :puke:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the plan. I just talked with Brain at SBC. He would like me to "reposition" the pressure plate 180 from where it was and see if that fixes the problem (it won't). If it doesn't, he will sent me a new flywheel, pressure plate, disk, and TOB. Basically, a new SMF kit.

I just had the trans out before this started and fortunately, the bearings were great, but I did put 2000 miles on the truck with it vibrating. Hope everything else is OK.

Heath

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

not to mention the engine bearings

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's worries me as well. I've got the same vibration at a higher rpm range.
Gonna take the inspection cover off to take some measurements on mine befor I pull it.:confused:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you man. But, like I said last night during our conversation, I suspect your PP is off center as well.:sorry:

Once we had it on the ground it was obvious that the holes were drilled wrong, there was probably close to 1/4" offset to the holes! :eek: It's amazing we didn't grenade the transmission on that one! :puke:

WOW! Mine's not that bad..... 1/4 inch is scarey!

Heath

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Sucks that you had to do this heath but I know what a releif it must be to know for sure what the problem is and its nothing you did. Now I hope your coolant isue is as simple

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. But at least you got it figured out. Must be somewhat reassuring to know that it wasn't your work at least.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so too Aric. I will be testing the new stuff before putting the transmission back on for sure!!!

My prayer is the coolant issue is not a headgasket or a head. That would be a huge set back, and likely drive Missy over the edge. She really wants to do some more camping and with the crew cab down, that's going to be hard to do before winter gets here. She'll likely want to take a trip to the Ford dealer.:eek:

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
She'll likely want to take a trip to the Ford dealer.:eek:

Heath

I've been there brother! We're currently living in space 41 of a high-end RV campground where all my wife has to do all day is watch all the happy retirees roll in with their brand new shiny trucks and supersized 5er's. On a daily basis I get the "hey why don't you sell your truck for a downpayment on a nice new one!"

:backoff

I say "because, baby- if I bought one of those I couldn't afford to shower you with gifts every month, on account of the payment..." :D That usually stops that conversation dead in it's tracks. :D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been there brother! We're currently living in space 41 of a high-end RV campground where all my wife has to do all day is watch all the happy retirees roll in with their brand new shiny trucks and supersized 5er's. On a daily basis I get the "hey why don't you sell your truck for a downpayment on a nice new one!"

:backoff

I say "because, baby- if I bought one of those I couldn't afford to shower you with gifts every month, on account of the payment..." :D That usually stops that conversation dead in it's tracks. :D

LOL

My arguement has been....... "that $900+ per month payment would really go a long way in funding the DT466 project..." She was not as amused as I was, but it would get that project rolling sooner now wouldn't it.:D

Heath

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
Getting a video of that pressure plate would have been good evidence to show South Bend Clutch

good thing you got it figured out before something went south!

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
really?? no ones going to comment about dsl_dog_catcher's PP being off center?? you guys really need to be more immature or i dont think i can hang out with you anymore...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online