The 5.4 Ford engine in newer Crew cab pickups

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While back I remember reading the 5.4 Ford had problems with spark plug threads, in the heads.
Stripping out and problems getting it fixed, or replacing heads etc.
Was this only with older 5.4's???
My folks came across a 06 Ford Crew Cab with 123,000 miles, just wondering if this still was a problem??

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. 2003 and newer engines have deeper threads. Earlier 5.4L's and 6.8L V10's had shallower threads and would strip sometimes. There is a MAC kit that makes them easy to fix.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
War Wagon,
Thanks for that. I was hoping they would have figured that out.
Is there anything that a person should look for with this engine.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
While back I remember reading the 5.4 Ford had problems with spark plug threads, in the heads.
Stripping out and problems getting it fixed, or replacing heads etc.
Was this only with older 5.4's???
My folks came across a 06 Ford Crew Cab with 123,000 miles, just wondering if this still was a problem??

04+ (the 3 valve head) has a different plug design that doesnt strip and eject...but with the plug design being two piece it can break upon removal. Also the 2005s mainly have injector problems and all new body style 5.4s have issues with the cam phasers. listen closely to the engine and look for a dieseling noise. Some light tapping is ok (injectors). The cam phasers go back and cause the noise and eventually failure. Also the VCT solenoids can block up.

Also make sure it has always had motorcraft oil n filter or equailvant (wix, napa gold, etc) to reduce any noise and chances of cam phaser failure.

i have an 06 myself, no problems and love it. good luck.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my cousins '08 the exhaust manifold cracked, apparently thats a common problem on the 5.4's. I was able to hear an obvious leak when the engine was running, so listen for that. Other than that it's been a great truck for him, we've driven it from Michigan to Florida and back and he regularly tow's his 5000+ pound boat with it.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I forgot about the exhaust manifolds...seems Ford still cant make a manifold that wont crack (this goes back to the 302 and 351s into the early 80s).

If u ever do a plug change only use motorcraft plugs, look for and follow the TSB and get the coil boots for the coil on plugs because once distrubed it can cause a misfire.

Enough with the bad though, i love mine. Smooth and refined, good power, good low end torque. My only gripe is the electric throttle body makes it kind of laggy off the line or when WOT is nesseccary.

Not related to the engine but check the passenger floor for wet carpet, could be a sign of the AC drain dripping inside. There is a part available to fix that.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Motorcraft plugs. I have heard of the cam phaser problems from other techs too. It seems to be a problem that comes around a 100K+. The way I look at the cam phaser issue is that it's just something that will cost you a little to have it repaired when the time comes. It's just one of the maintenance things that will come w/ that particular engine. I really like the power/ performance/ milage of my '06 V10. The 5.4 V8 and 6.8 V10 engines were greatly improved when they were updated w/ the 3 valve heads. We have 2 of the older 5.4L's at home at the ranch an '02 and '03. They have been good to us and were impressive for what they are when those were brand new technology, but the later versions perform much better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin