This Merc ain't FROZEN!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 21yr old daughter has a really sweet 88 cougar that we bought her as a graduation present almost 4yrs ago now. The original owner took meticulous care of this machine and hopped it up just enough.......if you know what I mean. Not a drag car, but if you want to feel a old school foxy ford hook up it's got a 65mm Edelbrock intake thingy and nice sounding real dual exhaust. But anyhoo, a while back the flex plate started to go and I told her to deal with for a while until she couldn't stand it or the starter wouldn't grab and a couple weeks back she bought a temporary car and laid the cougar up. It also needs the power steering pump replaced and valve covers tightened, etc.

So here's ole' dad fixing her car. Nothing too exciting except I came to a certain situation and says to myself, "self, you better hit up the oil burners and see what they think". Never met a more level headed bunch of guys, so here's the thing:

The smog pump is frozen, I don't see a reason for it to remain and have looked into smog pump delete thingys. They are becoming rare. I did find one, but was curious if any of y'all had one on the shelf, or know a better option. Apparently I can hollow it out, but just wanted your opinions. I tried looking at other forums and a bunch of mustang forums showed up and we'll..........those guys just didn't "fit my style" if you catch my drift.....

Oh yeah, how bout that thread title?

And what's up with a teal torque converter?

Attachments

• IMG_20240213_144318.jpg
    IMG_20240213_144318.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240213_144721.jpg
    IMG_20240213_144721.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240213_145245.jpg
    IMG_20240213_145245.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 8

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can disassemble the smog pump and loosen it up...it is just a huge, simple vane air pump....you will be surprised with how primitive it looks...I was...

Without it and the rest of the system working...it would wind up taking you down a road where one thing would lead to another and another and another...

I did not used to be this way...but keeping it fairly stock for DD street use...it is better to go with what the factory intended...I feel...because the ECM system is calibrated to 'see' all sorts of stuff that would be affected by pitching the pump...

The air pump's job is to add air to the exhaust during times when it is expected to have an excess of unburned hydrocarbons running to the catalytic convertor to assist it in burning the extra fuel off and not clogging the cat with too much buildup...I believe it would also help inhibit backfiring exhaust...which could blow the mufflers wide open...

All of the above is just my humble opinion...

On the torque convertor...by the way...see the imprint of the crank bolts on the front of it..? Remember me talking about that some time ago...?

Either someone painted it for whatever reason...or it is a rebuilt unit...

I don't remember if I ever saw that color on a rebuilt TC...but it sure is a girl color...did the daughter see it...?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did open it up and I did loosen it up so it would rotate.......BUT I destroyed the veins so it's just a spinning barrel anymore. I just didn't trust it too much the way it was corroded in there. If it does create problems more than a "check engine" light she can get another one that doesn't have a bunch of white aluminum corrosion dust stuff in it, it'd be pretty simple to swap out.

It's definitely a rebuilt transmission. The whole thing has been spray painted, and we used to do that at Mr Transmission a long time ago when I worked there. But yeah, teal torque converter is different. She'll see it tomorrow when we're discussing all the stuff she's gotta buy.

I didn't notice the bolt endention until you said something. I wonder if it's a C5 flex plate or whatever else? It's getting a new one, I'll have her look into the brand you mentioned.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally just remove the smog pump completely and get a shorter belt. Unfortunately it has been years since I have done this and I don't remember the required belt length. When I first did this I found my info from the foxbody mustang groups.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally just remove the smog pump completely and get a shorter belt. Unfortunately it has been years since I have done this and I don't remember the required belt length. When I first did this I found my info from the foxbody mustang groups.

James
I saw the shorter belt idea mentioned. My concern was that instead of 70% of the fan pulley surface being run by the belt only about 25% of the pulley would be covered. That might not amount to a hill of beans, it's just how I saw it. It does appear to be a legit option though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online