TC cover removal questions

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last year i had the transfer case rebuilt on my truck...mechanic called just before i was going to pick it up and said there was leak so he was going to re-seal the cover plate...so he did that and i picked it up and it seemed fine but then i realized it was still leaking.
it seems that he cracked the case right near the drain plug when putting it back in because that is where it leaks. I have no idea if the crack had already been there before but i know it was not leaking there before.

anyway, it seems too late to complain so it looks like i will need to pull the cover plate. Next door neighbor is a pro welder & does aluminum so he will fix it for little more than a handshake.

question: does anyone know what size torx wrench is needed to pull the cover?
any tips would be greatly appreciated on how to do this. Does the extension on the TC cover that connects to the driveshaft (the thing that also has torx nuts) also have to come off? or just drop the entire driveshaft?
thanks!
Paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul, is this a 1345 or 1356? I'm leaning towards a 1356 because of your model year. I'm more familiar with the 1345.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a serial number that starts with 1356 so i assume that's the one.
if someone could even just tell me what size the torx bolts are that hold the case together, and also the ones that hold the driveshaft u-joints at the rear axle i could probably figure out the rest.
the TC has an extension where the driveshaft couples to it, kind of a cone shape. I think the mechanic said that part (also held on by torx bolts) does not have to be removed. is that correct?

i am now positive that the mechanic is the one who cracked the case when re-tightening the drain bolt because it was not leaking at all before i had the case rebuilt. but, there is really no way i can prove that to him at this point.
so, if i can just get the case apart i can have my neighbor weld it.

thanks for any help!
paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online