Synthetic Oil ?

Tyee II

Reaction score
Have always ran the Delo or Rotella 15-40 in my IDIs. Seems to be some movement to the 5-40 synthetic recommended for the newer engines. My understanding that this can help with an injector problem called stiction on cold start up. This being due to the engine oil being used as a hydraulic medium in the firing of the injectors and the 5-40 synthetic has better hydraulic properties particularly when cold ? I realize the IDIs do not have this function. Is there any benefit or negative reason to use or not use synthetic 5-40 in an IDI ? Has anyone made the switch and if so what benefits have come with using the synthetic ?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using it in my pulling rig as I run the 6.9 really hard when hauling the fifth wheel. But, looking at independent research, some done by used oil analysis labs... there is no real benefit for engine wear contaminates on oil analysis, mileage, and whatever else oil companies claim. Mostly Voodoo.

Likely gonna ditch the syn for the regular in the haul rig too once its time for an oil change.

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When your changing the oil every 3000 miles, I doubt it matters.

Now if you plan to run it 5k+, then yeah I would switch over to a synthetic. Some of them aren't all that expensive.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If you run your truck below 30 degrees 5W40 makes starting so much easier.

My truck no longer gets driven in the winter but when it did I never used the block heater in fear of cracking the block. Because of that I needed everything to help out with cold weather starting. 5W40 made a big difference on cranking speed when the temp was below 30. I would run 5W40 in the winter and switch back to 15W40 in the spring.

Tyee II

Reaction score
thanks for the input I think I will stick with the 15-40 a bit concerned about increased leakage and consumption if I make the switch
thanks again

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run Mobil 1, 5-40 in both my trucks.9k mile oil change intervals.been doing this for a few years.no such oil leakage or oil consumption related issues.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Conventional oils can go a lot longer between oil changes nowadays. My 6.7 gets an oil change every 8k miles & running regular old delo 15w-40. I base those oil changes on when the truck oil change notification turns on, which is between 7-8k miles.
Synthetic oils are also good, and I use it in wife's car, but some companies claim a lot more to pull in those snake oil believers into buying their products.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
thanks for the input I think I will stick with the 15-40 a bit concerned about increased leakage and consumption if I make the switch
thanks again

My valve covers would always leak with 15W40 conventional. When I would run 5W40 rotella they would dry up. :dunno

Ive switched a lot of other things over to synthetic without issue.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been using synthetic since 1997 the thousands of gallons eye have not had to handle and ship with is laughable to anyone with cheap insurance

You must be registered for see images attach

vlrd56

Reaction score
I thought synthetic oil could wash the dirt in an old engine and clog small pipes ?

vlrd56

Reaction score
It's what is said among's old tractors and cars owners here in France.The synthetic oil has a lot of chemicals,more than minéral and this oil cleans more

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm on a gas engine, synthetic won't cause leakage and oil usage, but if you already have leaks or oil usage they will be worse with synthetic. I don't see a diesel being any different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.