Super Duty Axle Swap

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Obviously that's not the actual photo. But did the axle still have the tag on it?
Edit: I went back and saw it. Get a pic of the tag.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 73 with no L it is the open way the SD open diff looks. You evidently have to split the case open and weld the spiders and set them back in!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i opened up my 10.5, the other side had a little bigger opening..

Black dawg

Reaction score
Great info as always. On the welded diff, it really seems from all I have read that the driving experience between welded and lock right is about the same.

The difference is that a locker can unlock under light to no throttle conditions to allow different wheel speeds, like sharp turns, but as soon as you put power to it, it locks. I have probably put 50k plus on a welded rear....never ever again.

auto lockers have downsides to, but most all can be covered up by a decent driver.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I have to put in the U-Joint straps, pick up the tires tomorrow, and adjust the E-Brake (thanks to the awesome idea I stole from bike-maker) and she is ready for a maiden voyage. The only concern I have right now is the lack of free play in the driveshaft slip joint. I only have about an inch at each joint of the two piece shaft.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to help. On mine, I also had about an inch of free play on the slip joint (after move my the axle 1" back - still need to rectify that). And it seems backwards, but the tightest the joint got was as full droop - when the rear axle extends toward the ground, the increasing arch of the leaf springs pushes the axle forward.
So hook that tractor to the ass end of your truck, pick the rear tires up off the ground, and if you still have travel left in the slip yoke, you should be golden.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bike-Maker I noticed the same effect when lifted. With tires mounted and and an hour of driving there is a definite difference. I used to think the converter was going in the trans because of how much rpm it took to get going...not anymore! I get the feeling my 21mpg is probably done though. ;)

Attachments

• new meat.jpg
    new meat.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 53

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a little feedback Bike-Maker after a couple thousand miles I def have some weird/quirky steering characteristics going on. The steering feels light and twitchy after the swap. The rear is a about 4 inches wider than the front and the wheels are early SD with a lot of offset. Did you get any strange steering? Can the wider rear make the front feel light or squirrelly?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828