Super Duty Axle Swap

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and bought a 04' F350 (SRW) 10.5 Sterling with 3:73 gears to go in the beast. Pulling the tractor on a flat bed with 3:07 gears was no fun but pulling the new 33ft camper was murder.

Attachments

• sterling 10.5 2.jpg
    sterling 10.5 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 78
  • sterling 10.5.jpg
    sterling 10.5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After getting home with the axle this afternoon and stripping all the old stuff off it was time to start yanking the Dana 61. I ended up cutting two of the u bolts and will have to call around to find some in the am.

Attachments

• dana u bolt.jpg
    dana u bolt.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next issue I see is the u-joint size difference. All the searching I have done seems to show that my Dana should have had a Spicer 1350, but the caps seem to match a 1310? The sterling has a flat pinion yoke that will need to be swapped with one from an OBS? If anyone knows what joint an 84 F250 model 61 one should have let me know. What is the best year model to get the yoke from 93-97?

Attachments

• dana u joint.jpg
    dana u joint.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took about three hours by myself (well the two year old did hit me with the mallet) to get it out.

Attachments

• dana coming out.jpg
    dana coming out.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But out it came finally!
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• dana out.jpg
    dana out.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if anyone is interested in a 3:07 geared rear or if you have done this swap and have pointers let me know!

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also couldn't find any definite answer to the brake line threads for the standard to metric adapter.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Good luck on this there's another thread out here that should help you just look it up in the search bar under superduty axle swap or something like that. Also your pics didn't load. You probably will have to have your drive shaft shortend so if you do that they could make it to where you can use the sd ujoint

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may want to ger a new master/rabs disc/drum and disc/disc are different.
make sure you can stop!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It took about three hours by myself (well the two year old did hit me with the mallet) to get it out.
You must be registered for see images attach

BTDT - Dad and I were working on a clutch in a Pinto Wagon, many years ago when I was a kid. I was under there helping/watching, and I couldn't see, so I move a bit so I could see. Dad was using a small brass hammer on something..... and lo and behold, my forehead was at the back of his swing...........

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTDT - Dad and I were working on a clutch in a Pinto Wagon, many years ago when I was a kid. I was under there helping/watching, and I couldn't see, so I move a bit so I could see. Dad was using a small brass hammer on something..... and lo and behold, my forehead was at the back of his swing...........
So that's what's wrong with you....

:rotflmao

I think we all probably have a few of those stories.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So that's what's wrong with you....

:rotflmao

I think we all probably have a few of those stories.

Yep, and he still has that hammer 30+ years later..... whenever one of us grabs that hammer to use it, we both still laugh about it.......

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little update from a day in thunderstorms at the pick-n-pulls. I was able to get the E-Brake cables from an 01' f350 and the 1350 yoke from a 95' F250. I also had to get some "new" U-Bolts because I had to cut two of mine off. For future reference the axle housings are basically the same size and the u-bolts will swap. Tomorrow I will pick up the new rubber brake hose that goes from axle housing to frame and and adapter to the hard line. Then to get some new tires on the SD rims. I plan on welding the diff for use on the farm but am a little concerned about the road behavior even though this truck is not primary transportation for any of us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online