Stupid question I'm sure but ...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not a stupid question.
there's actually three areas.
One. trans pan. your overall trans temp is found there. slower rise and fall of the tremps.
two. on the output side if the trans to the cooler. faster response but not entirely accurate.
three. after the cooler back to the trans. good way to measure if the cooler is doing it's job.
depending on how heavy you haul, your choices are there.
personally, I would want a temp sender at the pan and on return side from the cooler. but that's just me.

gandalf

Reaction score
I went with the location at the side of the pan. That seemed to me to be the best overall location. I also used a somewhat larger transmission pan with a drain plug. Below is a picture of my E4OD, with the temp sensor.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Pan location is usually the best.

I tried putting it on the torque converter but kept running out of wire.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to install a trans temp gauge. Where do I need to put it to get the best readcookooing ?

Where you can see it.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Sorry really couldnt hold back this morning.:sly

I like to weld a bung in the pan side so it is constantly submerged, best accuracy for one spot.

I do like calvins idea of 2 positions, one could do this with 2 senders and a switch for them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My Mag Hi Torque pan has the fitting in it plus... Its an extra 2 gallons of atf to help cool down the fluid too....;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Pan location is usually the best.

I tried putting it on the torque converter but kept running out of wire.

NAw, you were over thinking it. Just thread a gauge directly into the torque converter drain plug and cut an inspection hole in the floor pan and you can read it going down the road . No need to mess with that silly wire.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
not a stupid question.

On my rock crawler I have the sender inline with my pressure line between trans and cooler. Reason being is because I run a medium stall, smaller converter and am concerned with the temps in my pump/converter.

Generally though, and in the case of these kind of rigs excessive heat is what breaks down the fluid and kills transmissions, not instantaneous spikes . While it is true that the line from the trans (TC) to the cooler will carry the fluid at its highest temp, the fluid is only at that high temp for a short period generally, and may not be indicative of a real problem. The average / constant temperature of the fluid in the pan - about to enter your trans - is what you should be concerned with the most.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
PAn temp on a slushbox is *essentially* an after the cooler temp combined slightly with the heat absorbed from the valve body being submerged in it and splash back from the clutch plates /gears but your major heat builder is the torque converter and the return fluid from there usually pumps straight to the cooler, but the return line basically dumps into the pan and then it waits there until it gets sucked up into the filter and gets sent on through the system through whichever way it gets used and then on to the cooler

A return line temp will tell the condition after cooling and before re entering and teh combination of it and a pan temp will tell the full overall operating temp. Teh temp entering teh cooler isn't so much important so long as you can bring it back under control, the problem lies when you can't get it back under control. You just don't want to be running your pan temps up near limits or you are asking for trouble

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
PAn temp on a slushbox is *essentially* an after the cooler temp combined slightly with the heat absorbed from the valve body being submerged in it and splash back from the clutch plates /gears but your major heat builder is the torque converter and the return fluid from there usually pumps straight to the cooler, but the return line basically dumps into the pan and then it waits there until it gets sucked up into the filter and gets sent on through the system through whichever way it gets used and then on to the cooler

A return line temp will tell the condition after cooling and before re entering and teh combination of it and a pan temp will tell the full overall operating temp. Teh temp entering teh cooler isn't so much important so long as you can bring it back under control, the problem lies when you can't get it back under control. You just don't want to be running your pan temps up near limits or you are asking for trouble

The average / constant temperature of the fluid in the pan - about to enter your trans - is what you should be concerned with the most.

not sure if you misunderstood what I meant (or if you were just making a general statement) but I agree with you. Re read what I quoted myself on, its a little deceiving at first, my bad LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online