Stuck Wastegate 24V CTD?? Will it hurt it??

lazermule

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm getting ready to leave on a hunting trip in the morning and I went to fuel tonight and I noticed that my Quadzilla digital multigauge was blinking high boost at me under moderate acceleration. The quadzilla is not a bomber box, it's just strictly just a monitor for EGT, fuel pressure and boost. I do however have a Smarty programmer on the truck.

Anyways, I am getting the boost flashing on the Quazilla display as it goes over 30 and looks like it's hitting mid to high 30's psi with the occasional spike into the low 40's for psi. There is no engine light which probably means there is logic in the Smarty box programmer for boost fooling and it also seems like it is not defueling. I did pop the hood and grab the waste gate rod with a pliers and tried to pry it fore/aft and it didn't move at all making me wonder if it is stuck. If it is stuck shut, which way should I be trying to pry it (fore/aft) to free it up?

Lastly, will I hurt anything if I just leave it like this and head out? I have heard of guys wiring their wastegates shut and running like that forever...any truth to this? I'd just rather be safe than sorry. I will be pulling a 5000# camper on flatland about 90 miles one way so it's not a real grueling route. My truck has just 80K miles on it so mechanically it's still pretty new.

Thanks in advance guys so if any of you late nighters could help me out before morning by throwing some advice at me that would be great..

Lazer

lazermule

Reaction score
Here is what I've found so far...Put a 16mm wrench on the wastegate linkage and it moves freely. Drained my air compressor down to 30 psi and hooked it to the actuator line on there is no action...but it doesnt seem to leak either...still a bad actuator???

lazermule

Reaction score
Ran the shop air up to a little over 40 psi and the actuator moves and holds fine...seem a bit high?

Anyone? Anyone?

LM

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be looking at maybe a bad boost sensor. The 24v in one of our smaller buses makes normally about 45 before the wastegate starts to open. I can't say for sure what it is normally for a dodge since the only one I really work on regularly is set to start opening at 70PSI. I've seen boost pressures on his truck go over 140PSI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online