Stuck in the back seat

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
On my 91 F350CC I had a problem with the right rear door.It acted as though it was locked,when I tried to open it from the outside the button pushed in-nothing happened(no resistance)-same thing on the inside door handle.I managed to get the door panel off and get my hand near the latch.I fiddled around(not much room )and suddenly the door opened.It worked fine.I sprayed cleaner in the lock and relubed it.It worked fine for a couple months then the same thing again.Yesterday I had the grandsone in the back behind the drivers seat-Same thing happened I couldn't unlock it,nor could I open the door .It acts as though it is locked yet the knob pulls up and down and feels like it is latching something. Hey I'm a big guy getting the carseat out for my grandson isn't easy.And he threw his bottle at me today cause I went without him. I cant P>>> him of any more he is growing fast.
Besides I misss my LIL budddy when I use the truck.
To me it seems like something is not lubricated and hangs up.Remember I sprayed and lubed the first one and have lubed the rear one B4 too.Has any one had a simular problem?Its going to be hard to get my **** back there,woth both rear doors inoperqable. Also I didn't use a heavy sticky lube. Ideas any one?

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing and when I whack the door handle the knob goes click and the door opens. I need to fix it also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hi Bill. Good to see you posting with a the freezing going on back there. I remember last year. Any chance the electric door locks are causing this problem. I have replaced mine twice but not I just reach over to lock or unlock and save the $160.00 each that Ford likes to charge for these.

gandalf

Reaction score
Good morning, Bill.

You had me worried there till I read your post. I thought you'd turned into a passenger, a non-driver. I was having trouble picturing you riding in the back seat with the Little Guy, turned into a bottle-minder. That's a "gramma" job. :rotflmao I was afraid you'd done something to irritate your local police, or worse yet, done something to irritate Gramma Deb, and had some privileges revoked. :backoff I'm relieved to know its only a mechanical problem. Thats easier to deal with.

How to get your big butt into the back seat with both rear doors inoperable? Thats going to be interesting. My only suggestion there is to roll over the seatback, after you take off the headrests. :eek: They might prove a bit troublesome.

Do you have central locking? If you do, the problem could be anywhere in the wiring. When one of my rear doors went inop I had to remove the power-lock mechanism and turn that door into a manual.

Good luck with this one. Its only a mechanical problem, worn or broken linkages. You can beat it. Its just a PITA to get in there.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, it might be the electric locks hanging part way. My front passenger door takes two lock / unlock cycles to fully lock or unlock.

The initial problem is the thin rubber boot/bellows comes a part allowing water to run down inside the electric motor. I have had some luck cleaning and lubing the motor and rod and then resealing a torn boot with silicone glue.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same, felt like it was moving but would not go quite all of the way And i replaced all of the lock motors. Got a couple extra if you need them. Let me know.

Doug

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Interesting comments.I can't unlock them manually either.the electric solinoids seem to work ,but as said maybe they aren't moving far enough.I,ll check some of these ideas when weather changes.I relly hardly use the truck at all maybe a couple times a month.But when the weather changes I want to spend some $ and time on the ole girl.Its as if part of the latch was moved by gravity,and was sticky.Yet it doesn't make sense. Mr Bill

Last edited:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did that to me TWICE...took the panel appart from the inside with the door closed (it IS POSSIBLE!!)

the outter button is just a cover..the inner button STICKS from dirt/grease...and is like someone standing holding the button while your trying to unlock the door...(ya know the thing yer wife does to ya till ya yell "LET GO OF THE HANDLE" when yer tryin to use the powerlocks to unlock her side) but ya cant see it stuck cuz the cover comes back out...

spray it out with PB-blaster/WD40...soak it good...

problem solved..(unless its the electric..then spray that too!!)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
OMB,
What I've found with the manual lock jobbies is that the door window frame track tends to wander a little wide and puts a bind on the actuator linkage.
I seem to get that every so often since I have a few who think an old truck needs to have the doors SLAMMED every time they close the door.-cuss
Sounds like yer gonna have to get them door panels off to take a peek.
Always a PITA with the door closed.:puke:
The bolt has an 11mm head on it and if ya get the panel off loosen it up a tad and then adjust it inwards to snug up the hold on the glass. It's the bolt on the outermost portion of the door and about 3/4 of the way down.
Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin