Strange finds in valve cover and glow plug hole

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as its my only vehicle, though, I gotta dig in. I'll update yall with what I find. Or maybe not and let Jesus Freak get creative. LOL
Whatever you do...can we all ask you a favor...? Can you stop giving us the index and middle fingers..? We probably need to see the ring and pinkie fingers for a change... Thanks in advance...
have you ever heard the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Hmm..one philosophy that has merit...
I agree, but he might find something that really gets you thinking.............I might need to take a look under there myself......
Another idea that has merit....
Mine have never been off, and until it starts leakin' I aint' takin' mine off!
I was leaning this way at first....but my inner worrywartness is starting to creep in...and I already have gaskets...
We might ALL get inspired to go pull our valve covers and see if we got broke stuff under there.
I like your leadership tendencies...for a cupholder-wielding stand-up comedian that drives an augmented butt and a wrecker...I like your style.
Hopefully it's something simple, or as Nero said something old and the odd sound you're hearing is just paranoia. But better safe than sorry.
This idea I am in alignment with...I would hate to have another small problem ballon into a bigger one...and trash another one of these harder-to-get-parts-for engines...we need to preserve what we have left...
Thats where Im leaning. I guess Im going to put together resources on how to take this all down and check it out tomorrow. Really appreciate yalls input.
That's the spirit...and I think that I speak for everyone here...we are rooting for your success....thank you for thanking us....
What a great bunch of guys, here...

I want to thank you all...

Last edited:

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
The mystery continues. Put cyl 7 at TDC, pulled the rockers, and found more shards of our mystery object. The rest of the pieces are nowhere to be found. One was lodged in a galley in the back corner of the head. We got any new guesses as to what it is? Turns out "broadly conical" was wrong lmao.

Attachments

• 20231128_114737.jpg
    20231128_114737.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231128_114729.jpg
    20231128_114729.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231128_114716.jpg
    20231128_114716.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231128_114711.jpg
    20231128_114711.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 11

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
The mystery continues. Put cyl 7 at TDC, pulled the rockers, and found more shards of our mystery object. The rest of the pieces are nowhere to be found. One was lodged in a galley in the back corner of the head. We got any new guesses as to what it is? Turns out "broadly conical" was wrong lmao.
busted rocker somewhere. fugured it out

Attachments

• 20231128_115712.jpg
    20231128_115712.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 20

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Maybe the other post will load and youll see the other fragments i found LOL Needs mod approval.

Last edited:

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
....... well, I be John brown!...... what were you doing with it to break that?
Apparently nothing, because it isn't from any of the rockers that are in there as far as I can tell. I put every cylinder at TDC and took them all off to inspect them. Looks like someone must have actually left a gigantic piece of rocker in there.

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Heres one of the other pics of the shards for instant gratification while the other post awaits approval.

Attachments

• 20231128_114711.jpg
    20231128_114711.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 9

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently nothing, because it isn't from any of the rockers that are in there as far as I can tell. I put every cylinder at TDC and took them all off to inspect them. Looks like someone must have actually left a gigantic piece of rocker in there.

Heres one of the other pics of the shards for instant gratification while the other post awaits approval.
Fascinating! I just love closure. And Im Glad it's nothing dramatic.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
busted rocker somewhere. fugured it out
Good thing that I didn't bet anyone...I woulda lost my shirt...to put it mildly...

I just lost a $2 bet with The Girl...over something dumb...(doing a lot of that lately...)...Billy Joel and Elton John did the same song...but...for some reason I could not tell the difference between the two...(***?)

She won and regretted that she did not jump at the opportunity to win $100 bucks...that would have cleaned out a lot of what she owes me on bets...

I lucked out on that one...fool's luck, I imagine...

Opening my mouth before my mind is in gear seems to be a bad habit I acquired recently...

Well...we finally got to see the rest of your fingers...looks normal for a guy working on his truck...no alien webbing or tentacles...whew...

Last edited:

redandblacksmith

Reaction score
Well, everythings back together. How does this sound? Ive never actually been around another IDI. Would appreciate the thoughts. Aside from our miniex, this is the first diesel I've worked on. There's still some sounds Im not used to hearing after having it for a year, but that doesnt mean theyre bad.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, everythings back together. How does this sound? Ive never actually been around another IDI. Would appreciate the thoughts. Aside from our miniex, this is the first diesel I've worked on. There's still some sounds Im not used to hearing after having it for a year, but that doesnt mean theyre bad.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's what they sound like. They're the clocketyest rackety noise making engines ever........I was the same way when I got mine 7-8yrs ago. I was like "what the heck is all this racket!!!, Is something broken" and then I ran into another guy in town and confirmed they're really that loud.

At least they don't fart like a Cummins.