Storing an idi

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its been a while since I been on here, so long that my internet actually 'forgot' my password to this site, it use to log me in automatically

Anyway, hope everyone and there trucks are doing well

I won't be using my idi for winter atleast and was wondering what I should do for it storage wise.

I seem to remember reading something about filling the fuel filter with seafoam and running it for a bit then turning it off

Can the batteries just be left on there own seperate float/trickle chargers or do they need to be taken out?

I will be stuffing a rag in the exhaust and intake, along with some dryer sheets as there supposed to keep critters away (more of a warm weather concern for me)

Thanks!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Just wash the salt off of it, fill the tank with fuel so it doesn't build condensation with temp changes and maybe change oil if it has many miles on it. Batteries don't need seperate chargers if left connected in the truck. Just one will charge both.

Then park and don't worry; just long for the day you start driving it again.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol but theres none of that beautiful white stuff down south. (I'm talking about snow haha)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i store a car, i also block it up, tires are expensive. but if its only for the winter, you will be good

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bah theres not gunna be no snow at this rate gavin its just cold lol are you in kitimat workin still

Haha I dont know about that jo, we got a light dusting here in pg today and theres supposed to be more this week, haha ya I agree it is def a little chilly...friggin north wind

no I'm in town now at northwood pulp

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i store a car, i also block it up, tires are expensive. but if its only for the winter, you will be good

Ya I was thinking of jacking it up and supporting it with fire wood, I am not exactly sure how long I'll be storing it

If only one battery is connected to a float won't that make that battery that isnt directly being maintained by the charger weaker?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a solar powered tender it charges via a 2a load when the sun shines

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Just bumping this for anyone getting ready to store the truck like I am.

I was wondering about filling the tanks, and now I got my answer

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd fill the tank's. But I would dump in some additive. A winter blend. Or even stabil has one for diesel now I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw some moth balls in the engine compartment, keeps creatures out, make some little aluminum wrap cups to put the balls in, makes for easy getting them out next spring.

Also pull the wire off the FSS, crank over for a few seconds, oil squitter's will oil the cyl. walls.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As for the fuel tanks personally I would fill them and add some stabilizer like boaters do in winter. The intake and exhaust I sure would use the dryer towels and wrap them in black plastic maybe 2 or three layers and duct tape them in place. An exacto knife makes the duct tape come off easy in the spring. Filling the fuel system with stabilized fuel is good but might run the truck till your sure the stabilizer is in the injection pump. Want to be absolutely sure the injection pump and injectors will be fine just dump the filter and refill with atf. Run engine till you hear the engine sound change. That tells you your running on mostly atf. Shut down and wait out the winter. Batteries your on your own but I think I would disconnect them from the system.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, an RV'er trick..... put fabric softener sheets inside the cab. Critters don't like them, and stay out, same as the moth balls, just a bit more pleasant odor left behind.

Another thing... this is something to check if you have kids..... I do, so this is what made me think of it..... Check under, beside and inside of EVERYTHING!!!!!!! Kids have a way of "storing" items in an unusual way.

One time, I though I had a coolant leak inside the truck, had that strong "Carmel" smell. Check all the areas and everything was dry, no low coolant. After a couple days, I noticed it again.... So I looked all over the truck to see what it could be. I found a cup that had a bit of "Coke" left in it, tucked "outta site, outta mind" and liquid that was left had "turned" so to speak...... So if you transport kids in the truck, I would look to make sure there isn't anything that could "turn" stuffed somewhere......

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Im going to be storing it in a garage, that I will be renting, so I cant do too much crazy stuff with the ATF. I wont want to smoke the place out when I go to fire it up again in the spring.

I will probably shove a rag in the tail pipe, and dryer sheets in the cab. I also do plan on putting in additive in the fuel.