steering column disassembly pictures

RedTruck

Reaction score
I pulled mine apart because my starter was hanging up. Then found my wiring harness to be on its last leg. As I started tearing that out I realized that if I was going that far I might as well rebuild it all with new bearings and paint. If you follow that link I posted a couple of messages up it will walk you through most of it. He uses a screw to get the tilt wheel pins out, but there is a tool for it that most jobbers have. The tool is probably less than 3 dollars.

The wiring harness for an '84 is non existent through Ford anymore. They can purchase it from an outfit who bought all Ford's old inventory for $140. I tried rebuilding my harness instead. We'll see how that goes.

It's a little intimidating at first, but it's not that bad.

Paul

RedTruck

Reaction score
If you take three screws out of the back of that plastic piece it will expose 3 bolts holding the rotating assembly to the column. If you do go that far I would surely appreciate a picture of where that spring is located on the ignition switch release.

Good luck with your project.

Paul

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the three phillips bolts that he says to remove to slide the front casing that I still have left to remove are gone but that casing will not move. I do not have the snap ring and bearing out of the switch tho.

RedTruck

Reaction score
The 3 phillips screws allow the plastic piece to slide down the column. There are 3 allen bolts that screw into the back of the tilt assembly. You shouldn't need to remove the snap ring to pull the shaft. It will probably take a little persuasion to get it to move the first time. I could be missing something. I have had it apart for a long time, but it's sitting right in front of me.

I am also assuming the column is completely removed.

Maybe a 91 is different than the '84 one I'm working on.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
took the snap ring and all of that out and the casing just slid off, then I tilted the column down and got enough room to pull the plug from the turn signal switch through so it looks like im just about ready to go at it for reassembly

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
does anyone know if the u joint inside of there is just a slip type or is it a press on? if it is just a slip then i could undo those three allens on the backside and just slide all of that out so I can feed the ign actuator in without having all of that in my way. the ign actuator is to long to leave the cast piece with the u joint right behind it and still get it in even with the wheel tilted all the way down

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this basically the same column as that used in the 1985 models ??

How many bearings are in the tilt-column ??

What are the part-numbers for the new bearings ??

Someone mentioned a U-joint; will this need replacing as well ??

Thanks. :)

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure if the 85 is the same but id imagine its pretty close.

i believe there are 2 bearings in the top of a tilt column.dont have part#s though.the ujoint is where the column flexes for the tilt.shouldnt need to be replaced.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if the 85 is the same but id imagine its pretty close.

i believe there are 2 bearings in the top of a tilt column.dont have part#s though.the ujoint is where the column flexes for the tilt.shouldnt need to be replaced.

I see that the column shown in the link to the Bronco site is indeed a 1985.

My column does not flop around dangerously like many I have seen.

The portion above the tilt joint does have some steering-wheel wiggle.

I wish I could feel the wiggle of a brand-new 1985 steering-wheel to compare it to how mine feels; who knows :dunno , brand-new ones may have some wiggle.

I missed a golden opportunity at the IDI get-together at Bowling Green KY to have the experts give their opinion on it; at the time, there was so much to absorb that I never even thought of it. :)

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and some more

Ok so 1st picture in post number three shows were you got two little nightmares out that are holding two parts of the housing, one kinda aluminum looking and the other looks black anodized. I can't get those two fasteners off. Whats the trick, are they pressed in, do they unscrew somehow? whats the magic move to get that rat bastad apart?

can't get that actuator piece in without disassembling the two pieces and the non screws that look like they are pressed in don't appear to have any way of removing them through conventional means.

Last edited: