Steering Column

Ronw435

Reaction score
Well I finally got the upper steering "u-joint" adjusted. All the slop is gone. Now the problem I am experiencing is I cannot get the bottom bearing up inside the housing????? I am posting a picture. Anyone know why I cannot get this up any higher? I have the steering shaft up as far as I can get it!
What am I missing?

Thanks
Ron

1986 Ford F250 6.9 diesel with tile steering.

Attachments

• 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 13

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried gently prying it up on both sides with big screw drivers? It seems like that's what I did, but I can't totally remember.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Yes I did and I did come up but what would keep it from dropping back down and start rubbing on turn signal?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I kinda remember thinking the same thing, but I don't know that I did anything about it. If it seems like it might be prone to sliding back out I guess you could put a bit of super glue on it. Does it seem real loose? If it "pressed" back in, it should stay.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Well I figured that with the steering wheel tight it should be ok but then it puts a bind on the turn signal device. And its a new one, with the steering wheel off it works perfect, with it on it binds a little.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen when I replaced my dad's blinker module. Plastic was manufactured slightly too thick, I filed where it was binding up, been fine since then.

Ronw435

Reaction score
Well the steering column is back like it was supposed to be........maybe im too old to be doing this stuff lol,
I found a snap ring that I could not figure out where it went. After getting the rear bearing in place i pulled the steering shaft up and low and behold there was a grove for the snap ring. Got everything back in with the snap ring in place and all is good........:)

I appreciate all the help, this is a great forum!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online