Power steering pissedness

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
POS power steering pump gave up. That’s the 3rd one dead… appears to have killed the gearbox as it died this time…

Frickin corporates askin the China to make chit chittier to cut costs

Manual steering was standard until 81.5, optional until 97

I have a friend with a Bullnose, that has manual steering, it is just fine… but the engine is 500 lbs lighter, however, he has a heavy winch bumper…

So…

I think to hell with power steering, and I’ll order a manual gearbox. Should bolt right up.

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I do think that’s probably a good idea, but it seems that that would be expensive. Not that I’m against expensive stuff, I buy quite a bit of it… but really, I almost like manual steering…

HE-MAN!
;Poke LOL:rock::idiot:

Here's one for IDIs for $75 shipped

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one for IDIs for $75 shipped

Yes. But is the quality there?

Another $75-160 for the P/S pump, and since the gearbox got taken out with it, $350 for a new box.

Or $200 for a manual box, less prone to failure, and I actually do like manual steering. I see what you are saying though. Power steering is nice, but I don’t mind not having it. If I wanted to keep P/S, I would. But, I don’t care. So I see no reason to spend more, for a feature I don’t really want. Hope this makes sense.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yes. But is the quality there?

Oh nevermind, eBay sucks for listings sometimes. There's not actually one available. It's linking to gas ones despite saying diesel up top.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
.... Although that looks a lot like the one on mine. Part # checks out, I think. But it had a spacer too behind the tilt part of the bracket for the pivot bolt. I remember because it was a pain to put back in plus the bracket.

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the power steering is nice, manual steering don’t bother me a bit, call me crazy, I damn near prefer it…

The benefits of the Saginaw are definitely there, but another $400ish to fix a feature I don’t need, or want, just doesn’t really make sense for me… I honestly think manual steering is more reliable, simpler, and manageable for me anyway.

If I wanted to upgrade to hydroboost, then Saginaw all the way. But the vacuum system is okay, although the vac pumps are even crappier, so hydroboost would probably be worth doin…

However, in my ownership of this truck, it has killed one vac pump, and three P/S pumps… so maybe they aren’t more reliable…

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more like $200? A Saginaw pump is cheap, and the bracket is $75 if it's the right thing. The van power steering pressure hose might fit, though the engine is a bit differently situated in relation to the gearbox.

The ford pump in my F250 never had to be touched while i had it. maybe it was lucky?

you might try putting a power steering filter? I did with the new Saginaw pump on the RV because the new pump stated that you should use one. maybe you have crap that's killing pumps. what fluid do you use? i used dex/merc.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more like $200? A Saginaw pump is cheap, and the bracket is $75 if it's the right thing. The van power steering pressure hose might fit, though the engine is a bit differently situated in relation to the gearbox.

The ford pump in my F250 never had to be touched while i had it. maybe it was lucky?

you might try putting a power steering filter? I did with the new Saginaw pump on the RV because the new pump stated that you should use one. maybe you have crap that's killing pumps. what fluid do you use? i used dex/merc.

It would be more than $200. My current steering gearbox is messed up. I need a new one. But I want quality. And quality is expensive. but I don’t necessarily need power steering, so manual is fine by me.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions, hopefully what is discussed here will also be helpful to others who may wind up with power steering issues.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It would be more than $200. My current steering gearbox is messed up. I need a new one. But I want quality. And quality is expensive. but I don’t necessarily need power steering, so manual is fine by me.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions, hopefully what is discussed here will also be helpful to others who may wind up with power steering issues.

The AutoZone gear box I put in the RV in '21 was good, no slop. Only replaced due to blown out seals. I still have the old one actually, because it wasn't sloppy either, so I ate the $10-15 core on the new one. Figured I might replace the seals some day and use it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wonder how many came with a manual steering gear? I have never seen one.

Two things that I have seen lead to repeat pump, and gear failures, are restricted lines, and drivers that really holdbthe steering hard against the stops, or just trying to make them turn when tires are bound up somehow. If you get along ok with manual steering I would assume that is not the case here.

Have also just seen crappy parts over and over. Always add a magnet in the reservoir if possible. And for whatever it may be worth, i have replaced very few ford pumps over the years, but lots of saginaw pumps.