steering column disassembly pictures

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got the basis for a good feature article there. PM me and let's get it into the archives. ;Sweet
Well...:dunno ;Really :backoff :D
*Also anyone have the OE Ford part# because the guy behind the parts counter will have no idea...lol

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E9TZ-3E715-B. It's called an ignition actuator.;Sweet Costs about 9 bucks.
Stealership item only.

not dealer only.it can be bought aftermarket.go to a shop that repairs steering columns and they will have them in stock thats where i get them but i dont have a part number for it.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i replaced the actuator in my 88 bronco few months ago. you can get it at a parts store also. with tilt steering its a friggen pain but its not a hard job. they do sell a special tool to get the pins out of the tilt column but i was able to get them out with a small punch. Hardest part is fighting the spring to get it all to line up again to put it together

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok this is from an 87 F250

Hey Rich, I only made it to your JPG #300 and then found out I only needed to adjust/move my ign switch up a tad on the column.
However...could you give the order of the rest of your pics and further detail under each one how to get the "actuator" out.
Thanks

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
El-bumpo for some needed pictures...something tells me I'd rather repair my oil-cooler again vs digging deep into my steering column ;Really

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
El-bumpo for some needed pictures...something tells me I'd rather repair my oil-cooler again vs digging deep into my steering column ;Really

Nawwww, once ya dig into em a half dozen times ya can do em blindfolded.

I can send ya the one I gotta do for Darrin this week if ya want the practice.;Poke

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look far more complicated and intimidating than they actually are. When my column wore out I bought a almost new condition column from an automatic truck. I took them all apart and rebuilt the auto one to manual specs.

Lots of fun and once ya dig in you have to put it back together or ya wont be going anywhere.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Question for you guys. I'm reassembling a 80-86 tilt column and am installing the ignition unlock button. How does the spring return for the button fit? There are two legs of the spring a real short one and a longer one with a 90 bend on the end. I don't see how that 90 fits anywhere.

I'd appreciate and help or suggestions. Thanks! Paul

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok i have the ign cyl out and I was working on the snap ring inside of there when I realized that I dont have a pair of snap ring pliers in my tool arsenal does that snap ring have to come out to replace the ign actuator. I am also replacing the turn signal switch while I have it apart and I cant seem to get the casings apart to be able to pull the plug through. I just realized that this is hard to understand without pics so let me go grab some.