So what did you do with your truck today?

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Continuing The seemingly never ending hunt for parts and clean cab for the '87...Tomorrow is Soldering on new chassis harness connectors and waterproofing them to replace the old and worn ones. Then going to orielly's to get the BWD return line kit and install it while looking straight at a dead IP. Then maybe getting a new POS battery cable while I'm there labeled under the name "Super Start".

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SS01/04357/03318.oap?year=1987&make=Ford&model=F-250&vi=1124154&ck=Search_03318_1124154_559&pt=03318&ppt=C0005

$90 is a helluva lot better than $124 for Motorcraft right now. I have a thread in the classifieds if anyone has extra bricknose generation or 6.9 parts they want to let go.

sgallaty

Engineer
Reaction score
Well, spent some money on it.

Bought new rotors, bearing and race kits, wheels and a new vacuum assist booster for "Hobart" my 2wd 1993 IDI e350. Going to put it in tomorrow and then bleed the system thoroughly

Finally (and I really do mean finally) scored an police/swat duty grill guard from an OBS ford truck that I can adapt to a gen 3 90's e350. I kept finding these light duty chrome things that were just flimsy and horrible. This thing is nice square stock steel, heavy.

asset.php

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all 6 tires replaced on log truck now.they all started to ware right out.going bold,weather checked etc.she sure rides nice now.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Wasn't today but day before yesterday, Got the core out and starting on cleaning up the wiring and other small things.
Looks like a junkyard truck at this point:
You must be registered for see images attach

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out the GP Controller. Was getting the click-click-click and no glow. That relay only lasted about 10k miles. Warrantied and replaced.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple days back.

Was getting long crank times on first start of day. At first thot maybe return lines, but that's usually a start-and-die, then-long-crank scenario, where this was not even trying to fire for 20+ seconds of cranking (not all at one burst, I still like my starter), so started doing some testing. Glow plugs were fine, the ones I could easily reach to test with a test light anyway. Soon realized that I wasn't getting power to the GPR. Had continuity on both sides of engine plug, but nothing at the relay. Just said screw it and bypassed it with some 2 gauge welding cable I had laying around.

Starts like it used to now!

Side note: On the trucks with the engine plug on the driver's side, you still have to have those double yellow wires connected at the starter relay. If you cut them there, you will have no power anywhere. (Don't ask how I know)

sgallaty

Engineer
Reaction score
Wow ok holy smokes.

So I found something I've been after for a while now - a koenig toolbox truck bed on an old f350/f450 frame. My goal was to have a nice big toolbox trailer, mount an air tank and propane tank, load tools on it, build a gasoline powered air compressor head - etc. and so forth. It's important that it be an 80's ford so that the wheels are 8x6.5 so that I can carry two spares and both will fit my van and my trailer.

ok, with me so far? I found one, and threw two 8x6.5 tires into my van and went to pick it up.

I got there, and I couldn't fit the 8x6.5 tires on the lugs. I looked at it front and back, but no matter what I did it just would not fit. I realized. "oh this is a dually - must be an 8x170mm."

Tried to get it home on the shot tires that were there, and one blew. Wife is furious and impatient by this point. it took me a good half an hour to get the hitch off with a blown rim twisting the hitch sideways, on grass in the dark on the side of the road. Left the trailer on a easment and drove the walk of shame home with wife angry and tired.

The next morning I looked up on craigslist, found some wheels that I thought were ford 8x170 and bought them, drove them down and - they don't fit. lugs are too far apart. I measure them with a ruler and somehow I get it in my head that they are 8x180.

I go to a local used tire place, grab two ford 8x170 rims AND have them put a tire on my old blown rim... my other rims are all 16.5s. I even have the guy compare my rim with the ones I am buying to verify they are the same, he says "They are the same"

get back to the trailer, the new rims don't fit either. I put on the one spare I bought onto the old rim, and limp home, with 5 tires that don't fit in my trailer, and one rim.

I get home, and I measure the original rim again... 6.5 inches.

I sit back, smoke a cigar, drink a beer and pull the spare off and put my original wheel that I drove down to pick up the trailer with - and it goes on like butter. I have no idea how it wouldn't go on the first time.

fortunately I paid next to nothing for any of these other wheels I bought, and the tires on two of them are real nice. I guess I'll dump them all on craigslist. If anyone here in texas within reach of austin needs a whole lot of 8x170 rims, I will gift them to you just so I can have done something positive in this whole experience.

Last edited:

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the rear brake cylinders, then dismantled the solenoid on the GV overdrive. Changed the o-rings, which an OB member kindly gave me. Cleaned the filters and replaced the oil. I have had a shudder in the transmission that I tracked down to the overdrive. It would engage but wouldn't seem to release properly and I would get a shudder in it. Took it for a test run, all seems ok;Sweet
Next jobs will be getting the AC & heater working again, make a gauge pod, fit a new transmission cooler, then it's time for an intercooler. Maybe a hydro boost if I can find one.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made it look like a truck again for the first time in 3 years.

Now I have to blow it all back apart for paint. [emoji20]

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the failing vacuum pump, finally.

WOW I have FULL braking power again! Which is a good thing as I'm driving the truck quite often over long distance. As it went perfectly smooth I expect to throw a rod or drop a valve here in the next week or so. Murphy's law and all.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
broke it! lol.dang it.i had log truck full of big pine logs.i was over in Ellsworth taking down a big pine tree trunk about 30' high.this was all that was left of it,so i had to climb it because it was right in between two buildings.anyway i got her down in sections and loaded it up with the crane.well i went to unload it today and i had a chunk of wood up too close to the base of the crane and when i lowered the boom i snapped off a hydraulic fitting! spraying fluid all over the place lol.i knew it was in a bad spot but because i broke one here before.so i had a backup! so i just run back and put it on and then went back to unload.gotta remember to top the canister back up again.
iv got to take this truck up and get a base/shield welded up so logs and chunks of wood can't come in contact the base of the crane.it's hard to keep up on everything.always something needs to be done.never ending.oh well.so long as it's fun and it's not fun then so long as it's irritating.that just makes time off in the winters so much sweeter.:D

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the headlight switch, and when I did found the questionable sounds that came from it (and odor) was the receptacle fitting melting. So went and bought receptacle and spliced it into the truck too. Nothing fallen out yet, and everything seems to be working. Hopefully it doesn't burn down next week.