So what did you do with your truck today?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had windows tinted on Saturday. They did a super job!
You must be registered for see images attach

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
here's what I did yesterday afternoon and evening:

https://youtu.be/2od-swVSKPo

By the time I realized I could slip the camera into my visor strap to record this, we'd been at it for 2 hours, damn near ran out of room when we started Donny Shatz's car on a cold engine. LOL
2nd gear, 4 hi, I didn't realize they didn't have a clutch of any sort, you're push starting a high compression engine from a stall with no slip in it.
One of the track's big block tow trucks gave it up, you can see it in the video pulling off to the side and staying there. The jeep gave it up right after this video, he couldn't handle it, and that red dodge with the hemi? I was talking to him about it, it's his push truck from the car dealership he owns, he was willing to kill it completely, he could right it off as an advertising deal.
Clutch got hot enough, Here's a video from under hood when I called it quits, could have kept going, but 3 hours of that non-stop had my clutch hot enough it wouldn't fully release until it cooled down for a while, and it's not worth killing my truck over that noise, and yes, that's smoke from the clutch.
Clutch was perfectly fine after a half hour sitting shut off, couldn't tell it had been worked at all. ;Sweet

https://www.facebook.com/jwalterus/videos/10207541060264768/

Oh yeah, my truck never topped 200 degrees coolant temp, and it was 95*+ out, so yeah, I'd say my testing on the fans is going well. LOL

Lesson learned: IDI's are still king when it comes to straight up WORKING, and the stock clutch can take a LOT of abuse, but for pushing sprints I'd be more comfortable with a C6 and one helluva trans cooler.

Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the old girl on the first of many trips to Maryland for this hunting season. These are my gauge readings at about halfway up, climbing Sidling Hill. I have to back out of the throttle before reaching the top to reduce exhaust temps.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How heavy is she loaded to have to back out of the throttle? I travel that road a lot and it has several challenging grades. That stretch of road is a lot of why I'm doing what I am to my truck. All my family lives out that direction.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Empty, other than a mountain bike under the tonneau cover. If you're familiar with that mountain you know it's a long drag up over there! I think this problem is a combination of incorrect fuel setting (screw inside injection pump), and possibly my clutch fan because engine temp goes up as well. I can pull right with a stock 7.3 powerstroke up until the exhaust temp forces me to let up on the "go" pedal.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Empty, other than a mountain bike under the tonneau cover. If you're familiar with that mountain you know it's a long drag up over there! I think this problem is a combination of incorrect fuel setting (screw inside injection pump), and possibly my clutch fan because engine temp goes up as well. I can pull right with a stock 7.3 powerstroke up until the exhaust temp forces me to let up on the "go" pedal.

Yes. That is a long hard climb. That one and Big Savage are probably the worst coming East to West. My poor half ton truck wouldn't hardly drag dad's 10K equipment trailer across there empty....:rotflmao

Are you intercooled?

Timing maybe?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing should be good, Mel at Conestoga set it. Unfortunately not inter cooled either. I'll also add it has been my observation straight diesel will climb the mountain faster and run cooler than my 50 / 50 mix of WMO. When hauling the camper, I switch tanks to straight diesel for the climb and the air temp is much better in November than it was on Sunday! It was stinkin hot over the weekend.........

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered new Motorcraft fan clutch as well as the wrench set for removal / reassembly. Hopefully this solves the engine temp portion of the problem.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a very nice truck. I had a 92 F-350 4 X 4 with a 7.3.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my new stereo system installed in my truck today. Got a Kenwood deck up front, front and rear JBL's, and a baby JBL subwoofer. Not a whole lot of kick to the bass, but all I wanted was crisp and clean audio with a little something to pick up the lows. Absolutely loving my setup so far, and I haven't even fine-tuned it yet. :D

The only complaint, and the reason it's not fine-tuned yet... one of the speakers was bad out of the box, driver side rear, so I've got one old speaker still in there trying to ruin my music. I get to find out how well JBL treats their customers, yaaaaay. Why the -cuss do I keep getting ALL the bad out of the box parts?

sgallaty

Engineer
Reaction score
Very nice.

I've been casting about for an ambulance package engine - the van turbo is a cut down version of the truck turbo, for space.

Today I pulled off the left front wheel - the rotor turns freely. Picked up some brake fluid to start purging the system. The fluid in the system looks pretty bad.

Pretty sure I have a vacuum leak somewhere. Have the symptoms. Going to test the vpump this evening and then trace out the leak.

I do have a general question - what is the relationship between the vacuum pump and transmission that can affect shifting?