So what did you do with your truck today?

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flyarmyguns,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Neither link works for me.

How big of a PITA was installation??
(The last "old school" Ford PU that we installed a JVC double din stereo into was an "all-day job".)

yours, satx
USA, Retired

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To post pictures you MUST use 'Go Advanced" at the bottom of the frame you are posting to. It won't work otherwise... :)

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the tips, here ya go...

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new heart to replace my old worn out one. Its been sitting a while, but I was told it only had around 15-20K miles on it. The crank feels pretty tight, I'm assuming rust between the rings and the cylinder walls. Best way to free it up? I thinking some penetrating oil down into the cylinders to soak for a few days?

attachment.php

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to bar it over. Use a BIG lever on a wrench or socket and try to move the crank. If it does not move easy I would try your penetrating oil in the cylinders.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed a new slave cylinder on the 83 F250, job went well and didn't involve to much cussing or bleeding this time.

Also wanted to ask anyone who's been around these trucks a while if the idle sounds correct,(Dad had one for most of my childhood but it's been a while since I've been around a 6.9).

I'm getting 15.5mpg in town and only get a light black haze under hard acceleration. Slight clatter at idle but fades as you accelerate. She starts on the first bump of the starter as well...So I'm assuming I'm not to far advanced on the timing. I just had a new Oregon Fuel Injection pump installed and some Delphi BB injectors.

Just making sure that idle sounds
right, not to many IDI's left around here to compare it to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMJNFj8wDtE

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my replacement speakers for the rear in the mail today. Took a while but I got them working, for some reason one speaker only wanted to work if it was being pulled or pushed on from inside the cab. No idea *** that was about, but after messing with it for an hour I switched the speakers from one side to the other to see if the problem followed the speaker, and it works fine now. I'm not gonna question it, we'll see if it still works tomorrow :dunno

In the mean time, I'm definitely enjoying my setup. JBL's sound GOOD ;Sweet

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Over the coarse of the last week, Pulled out the chassis and body harness.....
Got them cleaned in the shower with mommas permission of coarse and started to work them. Went to the only JY around that has these trucks and have been getting electrical connectors as spares. Found a complete, Unmolested factory trailer tow harness. Was dusty as could be but cleaned up real nice to looking new.
After everything was said and done.....Many hours cutting, soldering, heatshrinking, Etc... I now have a basically new, very clean, factory chassis harness with factory towing capabilities. Even down to brake controller pigtail. I also got the crappy '87 only non-weather proof connectors replaced with the correct connections out of a '88 and '94. Ended up with an extra wire but oh well. I'll find a use for it soon. Still working on body harness. Got it done all the way up to the left headlight and ran 12 &14 ga. wire for headlight relay mod. Going to try and get more done later today.
Hard to really do much when I still need a core and for whatever reason, Ford did not use wire cut to proper length. More like, "Eh, Its close enough. Just loop it around some." Hitting up the JY again today for more.
Going to try and pick this place clean while I still can. They crushed 2 trucks already this month.....2 with many good parts still.
Then I seen this friday night when I was leaving....

Couldn't get many pictures. Had a hornets nest somewhere near by. Got left rocker panel driven up into the door about 6 inches up.

But, Once the body harness is done, Then its on to engine harness and body work. Engine will have to be last unfortunately....

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put on some new transmission cooling lines to hopefully address my leak. Serviced the fluid and drove well. Shifts smooth. I didn't realize how much dirt and road junk was caked up on the bottom of the radiator and adjacent areas. Once it dries out I'll take it to a car wash and give it a good power washing.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean it up the other day and put it away, just before it started to rain.

Attachments

• 1F2362AA-965C-430B-AEE8-06F05C06E81A.jpg
    1F2362AA-965C-430B-AEE8-06F05C06E81A.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 55

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to see the old IDIs going strong! Last night I pulled the lift pump on my 83 to address an oil leak problem from the gasket, I will never again try and do the lift pump job from the bottom side of the motor...I'd advise anybody looking to do their lift pump to pull the alternator and vacuum pump off and go in from the top!!

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea .. as i recall replacing the lift pump was no fun at all ..

i wen't up from the bottom .. but if i ever have to do it again .. i will take this advice and try from the topside ..

getting much of my pre-winter maintenance done these last few days ..

fresh oil change ..
droped a half gallon of oil .. cold .. and added a half gallon of diesel fuel plus a touch of urethane reducer (light solvent).. and then idled it till warm to the touch .. drained it and got all the crud out .. fresh oil is almost transparent ..

greased all the zerks ..

greased the throw out bearing .. it was starting to get some vibration and noise .. i let it go for longer then normal .. but it's like almost new again .. i like the wheel bearing grease better then my suspension grease .. we'll see how long it lasts ..

watered my batteries .. they were a bit low ..

filled power steering .. a little low .. there's a real slow drip on a line somewhere ..

topped off the clutch hydraulic fluid .. it's settled down from servicing the TOB the other day ..

checked coolant .. okay

wiped the dash and door / window gaskets down with meguires m40 .. the only 'armorall' product that i use .. it's great stuff .. highly recommended .

I have at least a dozen plugs i've put in my ol' tires .. they all hold great .. except one .. where a big honkin bolt went in at a crazy angle .. i've retried several times .. but the hole is just too big and it's alway slow leaking air .. not a big deal in hot weather .. it will deflate in about 3 weeks in summer time ..

but in winter .. when the rubber is hard and contracts .. it will leak out fast .. on the order of just 4 days .. flat ..

so i went to discount tire .. they claim on their website that they patch the inside for free .. well i had my doubts .. but i went and asked .. pretty much like i expected .. they tried to sell me a tire .. but they don't make BFG KO's in 16.5 anymore .. so i have been .. and will be for the forseen future running very used tires ..

until someday when i can afford a new set of KO2's with new 16" rims ..
but i just love BFG KO's in 35 on a 16.5 rim .. they really should still make these they fit the old ford trucks so well ..

anyways .. he said advance sells a decent patch kit .. and i was headed there anyhow to dump my old oil .. so got a kit .. only 3.50 bucks .. and a nice big patch .. gonna put on my spare and take my tire down to the pull a part where they have a tire remover tool anyone who pays admission can use .. then patch it myself .. no biggie ..

then my tires'll be all set for the winter ..

also .. previously i had put some nasty cracks on the feet of my 'iron horse' hood ornament .. i was off roading a while back and pulled an old vine across the hood .. i just kept on and pulled the vine out the trees .. but it hooked on my hood ornament breifly and busted loose 2 legs and she was only standing on 2 feet ..

i wedged some wood under her and carefully filled the gaps with some good ol' JB weld .. and set her back down .. the repair looks so good i can barely see it .. 100 %

very pleased with the progress .. got a few more items on the checklist .. most notably the tire repair .. and maybe if i get around to it .. take off the cowl and remove the leaves .. but all in all .. mostly done well ahead of the cold weather ..

thankfully superb fuel milage has returned with the clean oil .. drove all around without noticably moving the guage .. much better .. the last few days the fuel consumption was downright dreadfull with that ol' clumpy dino sludge .. almost as bad as gas motor .. but now she's pullin hard and clean again .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance