WE GOT A RUNNER, BOYS!

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
After almost 8 years of being off the road and sitting, numerous posts here about it, SHE FINALLY LIT! Couldn't get a video of the first start in years but damn the smoke! No radiator or cooling system I didn't run her long but revs fine, idles fine. Sounds like she runs strong. Woke up and had a strong urge to try to start it again for some reason, So I went out, turned the IP and fuel pump on, and hit the solenoid. Same thing as usual but said screw it. Ether baby. Grabbed the can and started spraying the intake. She rattled couple times but starter sped up. So, Kept at it. Floored the IP by hand and kept at it. She finally came to life and woke up. I haven't checked oil pressure or anything yet. Tomorrow after work, I'm going to put my mechanical gauge on and see what it is. I may do that tonight now that I can't sleep :D But damn....She runs smooth and sounds beautiful... I'll post the video once it uploads.
Just want to say a big thanks to those who helped with hard to find or affordable parts and help to @<a href="http://www.oilburners.net/forums/member.php?u=23014" target="_blank">FarmerFrank</a> @<a href="http://www.oilburners.net/forums/member.php?u=24708" target="_blank">Waystro</a> and others from long ago.

Its a mess, but its just for now. Things are NOT as close to the fan as the video shows. Momma doesn't want me to wake up the neighbors......" I won't, I promise. :D"

https://youtu.be/zOMniq6XGPQ

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That did sound clean running after al 8 cylinders lit off. Congratulations of getting it running.:thumbsup::thumbsup::sly

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Half the battle has been won. I just cranked her and tach shows idle at 1K rpms, oil pressure is right before N. Volt gauge still shows 0 volts. Looking now how to remove oil sensor to put mech gauge on. And that was with NO glowplugs. She does have blowby though.....From dipstick and filler neck..... But, I made the mistake and just started her with the Ip at half throttle and didn't know it.....Cranking.......****! RUN! I mean she just exploded into running. I think the blow by is the oil mixture though. 2 quarts MMO, 2 quarts ATF, 7 quarts rotella 15-40. My exhaust smells like an oilburners christmas ;Sweet. Either tonight now that I'm stoked, or tomorrow, I need to solder the engine bay harness to the chassis harness and ditch the ford plugs so I can start her with the key and do a systems check. And if you look under the fender where the bumper mount is, where I stand, You can even see where I have a fire extinguisher hanging just in case. Have one on the truck and one on standby.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, congrats. Always a good feeling to finally light off that engine, hope it treats you well for a long time!

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Sounds good, congrats. Always a good feeling to finally light off that engine, hope it treats you well for a long time!

Thanks. Had it for a year now, was trying when I first got it but kept running into one issue after another and said to hell with it. When I found all the cancer is when I walked away from it and decided to not put more time and money into it when it was needed else where. Then, about a month ago I was working on something and went to get some material from the back that I stored there and got to thinking about this bordello red hooptie again.
Decided since I've got some time off work owed to me, why not tinker with it. And I did. Stayed up working on it non stop, Looked online for hours for parts and methods, talked to members about their 6.9, bought and traded parts with some, and then when it all didn't work....
I just said screw it. It blows, it blows. Tried again and gave her an ether shower basically. No glowplugs or anything. All that had power was IP and fuel pump. And something either worked its way out or something but she finally came back to life. We'll see what happens now. Later today I'm putting the radiator on somehow, putting a true oil gauge on, and putting a volt meter on.
I think my alt. is bad because it shows no voltage from battery and none on output. If it is, I have a spare but going to upgrade to one with an internal regulator and 3g at least. I think it sounds beautiful just because it runs, lol.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive done some pretty stupid things in my day,
so I know what im talking about when I say
YOURE ******* NUTS.

congrats that its running.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
ive done some pretty stupid things in my day,
so I know what im talking about when I say
YOURE ******* NUTS.

congrats that its running.

About what? The fan? I know. But my short arms couldn't reach the IP from the fender. And I'm not as close as the video shows. It looks like I'm right on it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you say "not as close"
but then you say youre short..lol
you are too close for comfort IMO,
all it takes is for the fan to suck that shirt in and youre in for a world of hurt.

things in motion, stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force.
don't be that force.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Put it this way, I couldn't the the middle from the side. IP is coming back off soon so reconnecting everything would be pointless. ordering line kit soon. Probably from Mel. Tonight I'm bypassing those 2 chassis harness connectors I'm always asking about. Then going to find a way to mount the radiator, cut off old core mounting bolt stuck in the chassis horn, and if I still have time, run it and let her warm up to check oil pressure and cooling system. A/c system has already been pulled apart and bypassed heater core. Straight tap water should be fine for now. 6.9's don't have the cavataion issues 7.3 does do I'm not terribly worried just to make sue t-stat works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online