shop repair costs

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely not an IDI question, but you guys seem knowledgeable, so I thought I would ask here first.

A friend of mine has a 2015 F350, automatic, ~400k miles. (all the info I have, so far).
What is the normal shop rate to change both head gaskets (truck has studs, so they are
quoting him engine pull, or cab pull, I am sure).

Also, the normal costs involved in a replacement HPOP.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. It is a 2005 F350 SW crew cab.
It has had at least one head job, and studs installed then.
New injectors and IP.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
15 doesn't have a hpop. They have the cp4.2 bosh high pressure fuel pump. (Common rail) A rough estimate is $2K for the pump alone. (Not that hard to change, but shop labor will eat that up)

Rough number for HG'S, probably around $5k, depending where.
I would go to a diesel shop before the dealer. Where's he live?

Unless they were done wrong, he shouldn't have went through a second set of HG'S like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The 5 grand range is about what I am seeing for shop rate.

Here are some other questions......

How long ago were the last gaskets/studs done?
What brand of gaskets?
Were the head checked for "straight and level"?
Does he have a blasted tuner/programmer on it truck? If so where does he run it? A conservative tune, or 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds?
What does he do with the truck? Is it a daily driver/grocery getter/soccer mom type of use, or is he using it as a hot shot rig and putting 10,000 miles a month on it?
What indication does he have that the head gaskets have failed? No power, overheating, drinking coolant, puking coolant out of the degas bottle, or "the shop says so"........

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that specializes in those 6.0h no's. They get $8k to redo the top end with new studs and whatever else they do while its apart. He has 3 lifts and 3 trucks with the cabs off all the time. As soon as those 3 leave he has 3 more in line! He is backed up several weeks. But with 500k I'd do a whole motor.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5 grand range is about what I am seeing for shop rate.

Here are some other questions......

How long ago were the last gaskets/studs done?
What brand of gaskets?
Were the head checked for "straight and level"?
Does he have a blasted tuner/programmer on it truck? If so where does he run it? A conservative tune, or 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds?
What does he do with the truck? Is it a daily driver/grocery getter/soccer mom type of use, or is he using it as a hot shot rig and putting 10,000 miles a month on it?
What indication does he have that the head gaskets have failed? No power, overheating, drinking coolant, puking coolant out of the degas bottle, or "the shop says so"........

Don't have the answers to those questions (yet).
The truck is used as a daily driver work rig - hauls electrical parts and tools to/from jobs.
NorthEast Texas area. No programmers or other mods, AFAIK.
Leaks into cooling system led to head gasket diagnosis.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79jasper; towcat,

Personally, I want NO pickup that is as complicated, expensive and/or as hard for the ordinary person to work on as the new diesels are, for myself. = I've owned 2 IDI PUs, have just last week bought a 1986 F-250 Club-cab 6.9 & short of a engine/transmission rebuild, there is little that I cannot do myself.

just my opinion, satx

Last edited: